SNeaKyTiKi

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
Alright i gotta problem....my system would randomly reboot every once in awhile, usually in hardcore FPS games like HL2, FEAR demo etc. Yeah it was really really dusty so i cleaned it out but when i was cleaning it out i saw that the system fan that was on the mainboard chipset is not even moving...it wouldnt even move when i sprayed the duster into it. So my question is, how hard is it to clean out one of these fans or should i just leave it alone. Its a Gigabyte 8IHXP i think, whatever one they used for the RAMBUS PC-1066. Thanks for the help.

<i>I'm a Sneakytiki!!!</i>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
A bit of thermal tape/glue will secure it!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ever tried JB WELD?

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
JB Weld would work perfectly, so long as he made sure the sink was large enough, and he did a clean job of applying it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SNeaKyTiKi

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
Alright so i just order the heatsink, that Swifttech heatsink right and then use JB Weld. Ive used AS3 before but ive never replaced a heatsink before....whats the best way to get the gunk of the chipset. I dont even know if its overheating at all, it hasnt rebooted since i cleaned all the dust out of the thing. The case temp isnt that high and the CPU temp is staying pretty low for how hot it is in my room.

<i>I'm a Sneakytiki!!!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
JB Weld can be used in place of Thermal Epoxy, but if you are buying a heatsink that clips on, you're better off to use something that's not permanent. If I had a board that old, I'd use something free out of my junk pile, like a Pentium 1 heatsink, and glue it on. But you might want to use a better alternative, by buying a clip on sink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
<shakes head>

<looks at cookbook> Yep, Disaster...right under the D's.

=P

You ever wanted to put a V10 in a chevette? I always thought it was overkill...but i've seen it...

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x4][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time