Help me SetUp a performance Video Editing System

qwprince

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
hi ..
I would like to have suggestions for building a performance Desktop PC on a tight budget :) that'll be used for the sole purpose Video & Image Editing.(It wont be used for 3-D rendering or previewing & the video in will generally be from dv) my tight budgets around 1500$ +/- $100

I would like to hear an approximate for cost estimation as well

I dont mind AMD or P4 as long as it performs and doesnt melt my mobo during long hours of rendering without having to spend a signifanct amt on cooling .

these r my ideas
-----------------
Pentium D 830 - 3.0GHz \ AMD Athlon 64 X2 1MB 3800+
GigaByte GA-8I945G Pro \ MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
MSI GeForce NX6600-TD256E
DDR2 1GB x 2 PC4200
Sony DRU-800A
Samsung DVD CDRW
120GB SATA II WD [ive a stock of SATA I Drive upto 600GB]
500W PSU
Canopus ADVC110

Im not sure abt the dual core comparisons betn these 2 models of CPU's .. but then again im not sure of the performance upgrade of dual cores either .. is there another cpu solution reaching almost the same or more performance with even a lower priced cpu? (itd be gr8 if someone cud tell me which single core cpu[single thread app] nearly beats the dualcore[multi-thread app] & is much cheaper)

do give me pointers on what i should look out for coz ive no idea of the performances / heat issues / driver issues or any other problems with the hardware(cpu,mobo,gfx,drives ..etc) i think is possibly ok .. i wanted to make a no-nonsense system ..

frankly speaking im really confused after the live stress testing of Intel & AMD .. & mixed reactions abt video encoding ..

do help me out ..

pat

Expert
From what I can see with your budget, you are not going to use the ssytem for pro work, but rather amateur or advanced.

I'm doing some video editing with my system. I choose AMD over Intel because the heat and noise from the Intel system, coupled with the heat generated from my 4 HDD (2 in RAID0 and 2 individual) and all the other devices inside would lead me to either an unstable system if I dont want it too noisy or a stable system with too much noise from the fans.

I'm happy with current heat manageemnt. I have a small case (21 inches high...) with one fan pulling fresh air in the bottom front to cool the RAID array, one fan on the side panel for the CPU and one fan in the back to exhaust hot air, helped by the PSU and opening in the rear unused PCI slots.

All those fans, are running half speed thanks to a fan controller. And I never set them to max while editing or rendering. This make a silnet machine that don,t disturb me when I lunch a rendering job.

My motherboars has a fanless northbridge. This help too. It is a Gigabyte k8nf-9 with a 3000+. not the fastest but enough for me.

So it is hard to advise because I don't know how serious you are about editing.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")ώ(")