nx5000 & Suse

I bought a 2nd hand nx5000 with an XP Pro license. I would like to
experiment with Suse however. Does someone know where I can buy an suse 9.1
license that some of these notebooks were equipped with? HP in the
Netherlands didn't know.

Regards
Heinrich
5 answers Last reply
More about nx5000 suse

    Heinrich wrote:
    > I bought a 2nd hand nx5000 with an XP Pro license. I would like to
    > experiment with Suse however. Does someone know where I can buy an suse 9.1
    > license that some of these notebooks were equipped with? HP in the
    > Netherlands didn't know.
    >
    > Regards
    > Heinrich

    It's open source software, so a license isn't required. You can buy a
    support contract if you want.

    "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> schreef in bericht
    > Heinrich wrote:
    >> I bought a 2nd hand nx5000 with an XP Pro license. I would like to
    >> experiment with Suse however. Does someone know where I can buy an suse
    >> 9.1 license that some of these notebooks were equipped with? HP in the
    >> Netherlands didn't know.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Heinrich
    >
    > It's open source software, so a license isn't required. You can buy a
    > support contract if you want.

    I wasn't aware of that. From suse's website only a limited version is
    available for free. I should rephrase my question then: would there be a
    place where I can download a copy of the original cd that came with this
    laptop, Any help would be appreciated.

    Heinrich wrote:
    > "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Heinrich wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bought a 2nd hand nx5000 with an XP Pro license. I would like to
    >>>experiment with Suse however. Does someone know where I can buy an suse
    >>>9.1 license that some of these notebooks were equipped with? HP in the
    >>>Netherlands didn't know.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>Heinrich
    >>
    >>It's open source software, so a license isn't required. You can buy a
    >>support contract if you want.
    >

    > I wasn't aware of that. From suse's website only a limited version is
    > available for free. I should rephrase my question then: would there be a
    > place where I can download a copy of the original cd that came with this
    > laptop, Any help would be appreciated.

    I don't deal much with Suse, but distributions these days are generally
    3-4 CD's. You can certainly get a usable system on one, but there are
    so many optional packages available that it takes several.

    Suse 9.1 would be available with some searching around (probably on mirror
    sites), but I'd suggest 9.2:
    http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/suse_linux/index.html

    The mirrors generally give much better performance than the main site.

    The notebook you mentioned may or may not have come with restore CD(s) like
    Windoze computers occasionally do. But I'd try the 9.2 stuff and see how
    it goes. Good luck. Linux can be a lot of fun, and it can be really frustrating
    at times. Particularly when it doesn't support some of the hardware that's
    in common use.

    -Dave

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:11:05 +0100, Heinrich <broncode@gmail.com> wrote:

    > "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> schreef in bericht
    >> Heinrich wrote:
    >>> I bought a 2nd hand nx5000 with an XP Pro license. I would like to
    >>> experiment with Suse however. Does someone know where I can buy an suse
    >>> 9.1 license that some of these notebooks were equipped with? HP in the
    >>> Netherlands didn't know.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Heinrich
    >>
    >> It's open source software, so a license isn't required. You can buy a
    >> support contract if you want.
    >
    > I wasn't aware of that. From suse's website only a limited version is
    > available for free. I should rephrase my question then: would there be a
    > place where I can download a copy of the original cd that came with this
    > laptop, Any help would be appreciated.

    SuSE can be ftp installed (you would need to download boot.iso or floppy
    images from an suse ftp site). The only other free option in the past was
    to download the whole directory for the version (multiple gigabytes).
    Although, I heard there is now a DVD iso for download (not CDs).

    Before ftp install of 9.1, I used ntfsresize and fdisk on a Mandrake based
    rescue CD to shink my Windows partition and make room for it.

    One caution for 9.1 (not sure about 9.2) is to record full 'fdisk -l
    /dev/hda' output before allowing SuSE to partion the drive. It wanted to
    change my heads (from 240 to 255) and number of cylinders (which I had
    just fixed after 64-bit XP similarly mangled my partition table). I
    avoided that for SuSE 9.1 by telling it to use existing partitions (and
    not alter any).

    > The notebook you mentioned may or may not have come with restore CD(s)
    > like
    > Windoze computers occasionally do. But I'd try the 9.2 stuff and see how
    > it goes. Good luck. Linux can be a lot of fun, and it can be really
    > frustrating
    > at times. Particularly when it doesn't support some of the hardware
    > that's
    > in common use.

    Thnx for the reply. I've tried Suse 9.2 but I get stuck with both the screen
    settings and wifi intel 2200 card. Especially the screen settings are really
    frustrating when the only option is to run at 640*480 and every OK or Cancel
    button is outside the screen.... HP suppossedly tailored 9.1 to the nx5000,
    hence my question.

    I think I'll leave it to XP for the moment

    Heinrich

Hewlett Packard Hardware License Windows XP Computers