HotSpotVPN ?

This group has been a big help to me. Another question please.

I just signed up at HotSpotVPN (thanks to an earlier post) and installed as
they instructed but I do not understand how it works.

I have a HotSpotVPN wireless Internet connect icon but it only works when I
am already connected to a network. How does that work? Am I suppose to log
on as usual then connect using HotSpotVPN?

Dennis
6 answers Last reply
More about hotspotvpn

    Dennis Vogel <dvogel@sprynet.com> wrote:
    > I just signed up at HotSpotVPN (thanks to an earlier post) and installed as
    > they instructed but I do not understand how it works.

    > I have a HotSpotVPN wireless Internet connect icon but it only works when I
    > am already connected to a network. How does that work? Am I suppose to log
    > on as usual then connect using HotSpotVPN?

    That is correct. With VPN, there are two pieces to the connection. One is
    a network transport, which would be whatever internet connection you
    establish. The other piece is the encrypted tunnel to some VPN server.

    With this service, you encrypt your wireless or public data to their
    server, and then, presumably travel from there to some other locations.

    Your data will still travel unencrypted on the internet from their site,
    unless you use some other encryption as well.

    This also means that all of your data travels through their servers,
    subject to whatever sniffing, monitoring, and logging they might want to
    do.

    $8.88 per month at http://www.hotspotvpn.com/ for the VPN solution, plus
    whatever connectivity you provide via some other source.

    http://www.Boingo.com also offers a VPN service in conjunction with their
    wireless hotspot connectivity. I can't see how much that costs on top of
    the fee for Boingo Access. I don't know if it works when you aren't
    connected to a Boingo hotspot.

    Some home routers offer VPN endpoints. I'm not sure if you can use one of
    those in a similar fashion.

    Some ISPs offer VPN. http://www.sonic.net/hotspots/ requires that
    you connect to their hotspots via VPN. I don't know if that VPN is
    available when you are connected via some other source.

    --
    ---

    So even though it seems I'm somehow connected twice, the first on the normal
    un-encrypted connection, then HotSpotVPN gets between myself and the free
    WiFi connection and encrypts my information. Is that correct?

    I'm leaving in a few days in my RV for a few months and this group has been
    a big help.

    Thanks again,

    Dennis

    > > I just signed up at HotSpotVPN (thanks to an earlier post) and installed
    as
    > > they instructed but I do not understand how it works.
    >
    > > I have a HotSpotVPN wireless Internet connect icon but it only works
    when I
    > > am already connected to a network. How does that work? Am I suppose to
    log
    > > on as usual then connect using HotSpotVPN?
    >
    > That is correct. With VPN, there are two pieces to the connection. One
    is
    > a network transport, which would be whatever internet connection you
    > establish. The other piece is the encrypted tunnel to some VPN server.
    >
    > With this service, you encrypt your wireless or public data to their
    > server, and then, presumably travel from there to some other locations.
    >
    > Your data will still travel unencrypted on the internet from their site,
    > unless you use some other encryption as well.
    >
    > This also means that all of your data travels through their servers,
    > subject to whatever sniffing, monitoring, and logging they might want to
    > do.
    >
    > $8.88 per month at http://www.hotspotvpn.com/ for the VPN solution, plus
    > whatever connectivity you provide via some other source.
    >
    > http://www.Boingo.com also offers a VPN service in conjunction with their
    > wireless hotspot connectivity. I can't see how much that costs on top of
    > the fee for Boingo Access. I don't know if it works when you aren't
    > connected to a Boingo hotspot.
    >
    > Some home routers offer VPN endpoints. I'm not sure if you can use one of
    > those in a similar fashion.
    >
    > Some ISPs offer VPN. http://www.sonic.net/hotspots/ requires that
    > you connect to their hotspots via VPN. I don't know if that VPN is
    > available when you are connected via some other source.
    >

    > --
    > ---
    > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

    Dennis Vogel <dvogel@sprynet.com> wrote:
    > So even though it seems I'm somehow connected twice, the first on the normal
    > un-encrypted connection, then HotSpotVPN gets between myself and the free
    > WiFi connection and encrypts my information. Is that correct?

    Right. You would be able to surf after connecting to the internet.
    Establishing the VPN between your laptop and the server at hostpotvpn will
    encrypt the data between you and hotspotvpn. You will actually surf from
    their server onto the internet.

    The VPN should also prevent someone from connecting to your PC directly,
    and prevent you from accessing anything directly without passing through
    hotspotvpn servers.

    You should have a personal firewall on your laptop anyway. The VPN server
    at hotspotvpn needs to be added to the "trusted" servers on that firewall.
    Everything else, especially "local subnet" could be blocked while
    travelling.

    ---
  4. I've been using a personal vpn for a couple of years all around the world. Great stuff, like black magic!
  5. I tried many free vpn solution.Hotspot, Tor, Surfshiled but all have some bad and some good sides.
    Finally I find perfect PPTP VPN service for free offered by Super VPN company.
    I couldn't believe when my friend told me for them and almost half year I am using their services for free and all works perfect.
  6. I researched appropriate VPN service and I found SuperbVPN http://superbvpn.com/ and I must admit I am very satisfied! Their services are highly effective and affordable!

Connection Wireless Internet Wireless Networking