Need help with Win 98 install.

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was running Win 98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as it is probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created a Win 98 SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot to the cd rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is happening. The cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I still can't get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose "boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something here? Tia for any help.
Gary

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Do you know if the cdrom drive ever worked or if the 98 disc is even bootable?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When you boot off the floppy "with CD support" do you get a drive letter for the CD-ROM?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

VistaCruzier

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2005
Set boot from "floppy disk" and put in floppy boot disk win 98se with ram drive in the floppy drive , select boot with cd rom support, it will go thru pci bus scans ect and load the cd rom driver( called oakrom.sys), after fdisk, format, format with system files, then type "setup" at the A prompt with the full install win 98 cd in the cd rom drive and your problemma's have vanished,,lol the installation begins,