Sign in with
Your question

Problems with new P4P800-E Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
September 16, 2005 5:57:41 AM

I got a new Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, and I am having a problem with it. I have 2 PCI Promise IDE controller cards(the kind that Western Digital used to package with their large drives) installed that worked flawlessly with my old setup, which included an onboard Highpoint RAID controller. When I plug a drive into them, it won't boot. It just hangs at a black screen right before it should display the XP logo. If I don't plug in a disk that has XP installed, it will tell me that there isnt a boot device available. I've looked through the BIOS and selected the proper boot device, tried changing the settings and turning the onboard RAID controller on/off, or IDE/RAID. The only way the promise cards work is if the onboard controller is disabled, which of course removes my ability to create a RAID 0 array. The cards are Ultra100TX2's, and the onboard is the FastTrak 378. Is this a known issue that they don't work together? Is there any way that I can use both at the same time? Thanks for any help.

More about : problems p4p800 deluxe

a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2005 7:41:52 AM

OK, slow down, are you trying to boot off the Promise card or the IDE RAID array of the motherboard?

I'm going to assume you're trying to boot off the Promise RAID controller onboard. It sounds like a BOOT BIOS issue between the Promise cards. I won't rule out a configuration issue however.

The solution to a BOOT BIOS conflict would be to disable BOOT BIOS for the Promise cards, but you can't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 17, 2005 4:37:33 PM

I was trying to boot from the primary IDE channel, with a RAID array on the onboard controller and some extra storage on the cards. But, I was able to fix the problem by finding the most recent BIOS for the controller cards and flashing them. Thanks for the reply though.
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2005 10:55:58 PM

Lucky you on the BIOS release!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!