Sign in with
Your question

Memory Problem on Asus' A8N-SLI Premium

Last response: in Motherboards
September 16, 2005 1:39:57 PM

Be prepared, this is going to be a long post. The thing that will happen I hope is a descent supported list of memory on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium.

Not to bother you with too much detail:
I've finally found out that my mobo will not take Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO into the 4 memory slots.
Investigating the issue further in depth I do notice that my motherboard runs without any hickups when only inserting 2 of those modules in the appropriate banks for Dual Channel DDR 400Mhz with CL2225 (my ram is ranked at those timings).

Digging deeper into the subject I was now looking to upgrade to 4GB on the motherboard. Of course that is 4 modules with more relaxed CL timings. But guess what. I asked the people at asus what they thought of this and they guided me towards their DDR400 Qualified Vendors List. No problem I checked the most recent on-line version of the Motherboard Guide (RTFM basically, no offence taken) and figure what it says: (Includes everything i mailed to asus support, oh and it's not the first mail on the subject)

Quote:

Hello again,

I'm investigating to see wether it is possible to have 4GB on this motherboard. I stumbled upon a flagrant error in your documentation:

On page 38 of document e2128_A8n-sli_premium.pdf on the 24th line on the table of DDR400 Qualified Vendors List it says:

"1024MB Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 N/A DS N/A *A *B" => "this does NOT SUPPORT for 4 modules inserted into the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-Channel memory configuration" as stated at the bottom of the table!!

While on page 39 on line 30 of that same document in that same table it says:

"1024MB Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 N/A DS N/A *A *B *C" => "this DOES SUPPORT for 4 modules inserted into the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-Channel memory configuration" as stated at the bottom of the table!!

How should a consumer know what type of memory can be fitted on this motherboard and what will work for him? I used to be a happy al the time ASUS user, but i'm getting worried that this will change. And unfortunately i'm not the only one thinking of it this way. I've been looking on fora to see what other people their experiences are with this motherboard and there are quite some people who are changing towards DFI! I'm thinking of taking the same step as my memory is more expensive than the motherboard itself. I've already lost a lot of time on figuring out where the problem is coming from and my business is suffering from it. I do know that the current memory I have is not supported on the motherboard when using the 4 modules of CMX512-3200XLPRO, but i'm looking into getting 4GB, but unfortunately it isn't documented what will work and what not. Why take 4GB if i'm thinking of moving towards DFI... well it's easier to replace ram modules then to swap out a whole motherboard and re-installing everything.

I know this is not going to change much, but I do hope that my favourite and always ready to help hardware pages started by Mr. Pabst can push some things... I had the idea that including this issue in reviews would put some strain on the manufacturers. As you can imagine when people go out to buy their new system they need to do some digging, and i'm talking real deep digging to be sure that everything will work.
I was looking for a system that would give me not too much problems and I was willing to pay for it: €3000 budget to last a long time with not too many problems. Well I guess I was plain stupid bacause it all started off with a lot of problems.

Here is the specs:
- Asus A8N SLI Premium
- AMD X2 4400+ Toledo
- 2x Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO
- 2x MSI NX7800GTX SLI enabled
- Antec TrueControl 550W
- 2x Raptor 36Gb RAID0
- PX716A IDE0-0, PX4012 IDE1-1
- CL Audigy1
- WINXP SP2 all patched

Thank you!

You don't need eyes to see you need vision.
September 18, 2005 1:37:09 PM

Well i've done that :(  to no avail.

You don't need eyes to see you need vision.
!