Sign in with
Your question

Similar fps in old and new games

Last response: in Video Games
October 10, 2010 7:47:04 PM

I'm kind of tired of bitching about my pc but that's all I got until it gets sold.

The thing is, my 5670 (I know, a poor performer) gives about the same fps in every game I play: Halflife 2, doom 3, bioshock, FEAR, Modern warfare, blood money... so on. With everything on highest and 4aa and 4af, when possible, at 1280x960 I get a minimum fps of 60 or lower in all of those games, even in HL2 and doom 3 wich are 6 year-old games (in FEAR it goes as low as 30 fps, with borderline 60 as average). what the hell?! shouldn't the card perform better with those old engines? i'm running it on a dual-core system with 4gb ddr3 ram, so i don't think it's bottlenecked. and no, I don't have vsync on before some asks. if some could help me out i'll appreciate it. thanks.

More about : similar fps games

October 10, 2010 10:21:18 PM

Exactly what processor are you using?
m
l
October 11, 2010 12:04:41 AM

an athlon ii x2 245 stock. i forgot to mention, one video on youtube from some guy with a pc almost like mine says he gets from 60 to 90 fps in re5 in dx10 at 1280x720 with 4aa and motion blur on, but i only get 50 fps when there are enemies at lower settings (1024x768 no aa and no motion blur) and i got 2gb of ram more than him, also ddr3 1066. something's wrong right there. any answer is welcome.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 8:39:03 AM

Complete system specs, please?
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:16:02 PM

M4A785TD-M mobo
Athlon x2 245 stock
4GB ddr3 1066mhz ram
hd5670 gpu stock
500w psu

what else do you want to know?
m
l
October 11, 2010 6:09:31 PM

Try turning off shadows. Doom 3 is filled with em, or lower shadow quality. Shadows tend to kill GPUs.

Also, do you have vertical sync enabled? That will limit your FPS to the monitor refresh rate.

There are tons of game settings you can tweak, any one setting can increase your performance. Unless you are comparing exact same systems with the exact same settings, looking at just resolution and AA settings won't get you far.

60 fps is plenty for any game anyhow, unless you actually have issues with lag, don't worry about it. Once my sister got a bigger soda than me, I was a bit upset about it, but I still had a soda.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:15:42 AM

turning settings down for a 6 year old game with new and capable hardware? no thanks, the card should deliver more than it does. quoting the opening post: "and no, I don't have vsync on before some asks." that answers your question. and i do have frameskip issues.

before the 5670 i had a 4350 and in the older games it gave me around 50 fps with high settings, and now with the 5670, wich is over 4 times more powerful, it gives way less than twice the framerates on those games with the exact same settings. in newer games: bioshock, modern warfare... it does give about 4 times the framerates i had, wich is the most reasonable thing.

in re5 it gave 50 fps when fighting enemies and so, but a guy in youtube, with the same cpu, video card, os, and 2gb of ram LESS as me, calims to get from 60 to 85 fps with higher settings (read second post).

i'm going to sell this pc, i've had enough of it. i paid what's about $550 in mexico for it 5 months ago when in usa it's worth less than $400, even less nowadays. i hopefuly will get 70% of what i spent back then. to hell with mexican economy.

and wanna hear something funny? one moth after i bought it, windows started glitching out so i went to the shop i got it from to get it fixed. besides wanting me to pay because the warranty had expired, they switched the hyperx memory kit i bought from them with a dirt-cheap generic memory kit. right there they stole me about $50, and now they say that that's the memory i bought from them and they won't do anything about it. pathetic.

so if you live in usa and constantly buy pc components, consider yourself lucky. if nobody can give me a good answer i'll just pick the best answer at random. thanks.
m
l
!