Doom on LCD monitors?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I'm thinking of getting a fast LCD to replace my dying CRT. How does
Doom3 (or other new games) look on an LCD at non-native resolutions?
For example, if I have a 17" 1280x1024 but run the game at 1024x768 or
800x600.

Thanks!

Nobody wasted my time on 2/7/2005 6:43 PM with the following:
> I'm thinking of getting a fast LCD to replace my dying CRT. How does
> Doom3 (or other new games) look on an LCD at non-native resolutions?
> For example, if I have a 17" 1280x1024 but run the game at 1024x768 or
> 800x600.
>
> Thanks!

I'm using a SyncMaster 15", and it plays fine on 800x600 and 1024x768.
Like what ShutEye said, the black isn't *quite* pitch-black, but it sure
as hell beats lugging a heavy CRT to LAN parties (and is quite a joy as
far as space consumption)

Personally, I'd prefer to use a CRT, but I'm waiting on my next one, so
this will do fine :)

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:43:22 -0800, Nobody <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting a fast LCD to replace my dying CRT. How does
>Doom3 (or other new games) look on an LCD at non-native resolutions?
>For example, if I have a 17" 1280x1024 but run the game at 1024x768 or
>800x600.

I played D3 on my Mitsubishi DV172 monitor 16ms at 1024x768 and it
worked fine. Not noticeable scaling problems or motion blur. I also
play Battlefield games at 1024 x 768, mainly for text legibility, and
no untoward effects have presented themselves. :)

Kaz

>>I'm thinking of getting a fast LCD to replace my dying CRT. How does
>>Doom3 (or other new games) look on an LCD at non-native resolutions?
>>For example, if I have a 17" 1280x1024 but run the game at 1024x768 or
>>800x600.
>
> I played D3 on my Mitsubishi DV172 monitor 16ms at 1024x768 and it
> worked fine. Not noticeable scaling problems or motion blur. I also
> play Battlefield games at 1024 x 768, mainly for text legibility, and
> no untoward effects have presented themselves. :)

I've a Samsung SyncMaster 710t - 17" and it's great.
Black's not as black as on a CRT but on the other hand - contrast and brightness is way
better.
Scales fine and no blurring to speak of.
You will get the best result i you use DVI-cables.

It _is_ another experience than a CRT, but once getting used to it you'll never go back :)

ShutEye