honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Can Anyone explain to me also , what the difference is with a

945P chipset board and 945G chipset board, for a Dual Core Pentium .... Is it just me , or do they differ in size ???
The board I use now is a ASUS P4P800SE and I was looking at these two items..

Asus P5LD2 (i945P) and the AUA P5LD2-VM (i945G) ...
What does "VM" signify and do both board require different powers??

Thanks again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most VM boards are Micro-ATX, and Intel usually uses G to designate the presense of onboard graphics. Micro-ATX and onboard graphics are like Peas and Carrots.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use the smaller board in the larger case, but you can't use the larger board in the smaller case. ATX cases support 7 expansion slots, Micro ATX cases support 4 expansion slots, and, listen carefully, motherboards often have a slot or two missing, so you have to look at the CASE, not the board.

Many discount PC's (even ones sold at high prices because the buyer didn't know they were getting a discount PC) use Micro ATX boards in full ATX cases.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>