Buy console + moniter or full-ish upgrade of desktop for new games?

Denzel

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking for the best way to play some of this years new game's. At the moment I've got a laptop which is a year old, plays cod4 on lowest setting fairly well, but it's not great. i also have a desktop which is 5-6 years old which i can reuse stuff like the harddrive, dvd-drive etc. The monitor i currently play on is 1280x1024.

My question is should i just buy a console and a new hdmi monitor (to play in hd res, i don't own a tv/don't watch it) or should i upgrade my desktop to a decent spec and stick with 1280x1024 res. both options will work out at about £400-£500.

I've already got ideas for components, had a bit of experience cause i built the desktop myself.

Another thing is the cost of games. i've got 4-5 pc games that i'd like to play but currently aren't able to, most are cross platform though. will they look as good on the pc (with maxed settings) compared to a console though the pc will be a lower res?

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hmm, buying a console will be cheaper than PC, also there's no need to upgrade components in case newer games come.

Well anyway, what's your ideas for PC build?