AMD CPUs Used in "Predators" Special Effects

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Predator
  • CPUs
Last response: in News comments
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 6:49:47 PM

meanwhile, Nvidia Stock keeps sliding into nothingness... I REALLY wish Nvidia & AMD would team up and compete with the evil blue Intel...
Score
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 6:51:31 PM

Pixar used to use AMD processors until the Core-2 line came out. For server farms it just makes sense. You want the biggest bang for your buck, and AMD is pretty darn good in that segment.

I am interested in that Machete movie: "When you hire him to kill the bad guy, make sure YOU aren't the bad guy!". Classic line from that faux trailer.
Score
Related resources
July 9, 2010 6:53:41 PM

does that mean every other movie was made using intel? im actually quite interested
Score
Anonymous
July 9, 2010 6:57:04 PM

Ugh what no Opterons?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 7:11:23 PM

This just in: I run Intel for checking Tom's!
Score
a b À AMD
a c 131 à CPUs
July 9, 2010 7:17:10 PM

jonpaul37meanwhile, Nvidia Stock keeps sliding into nothingness... I REALLY wish Nvidia & AMD would team up and compete with the evil blue Intel...

What do you think this is? Gang wars?
luc vrUgh what no Opterons?

Quote:
used its technology to generate the special effects and animations. More specifically, the studio used six-core AMD Opteron processors and ATI FirePro GPUs to get the job done.
Score
July 9, 2010 7:21:57 PM

So by the way it sounds they buy new after every movie? Cause I could sure use a cheap server farm. Let me know when they throw them out.
Score
July 9, 2010 7:28:33 PM

Oh sweet, I didn't know he was actually going to make Machete!!!
Score
July 9, 2010 7:28:45 PM

AMD couldn't have done a better PR campaign for their technology themselves.

However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country. A movie about a bunch of Mexican-Americans killing white people and then white people in turn killing Mexicans just doesn't sit well with me. Hollywood always has this sick political agenda no matter whose the actor or what the story line curtails.
Score
July 9, 2010 7:30:18 PM

Too bad this remake doesnt have Arnold...
Score
July 9, 2010 7:33:47 PM

Hey, Danny Trejo needs to work too
Score
July 9, 2010 7:38:37 PM

soo?
Score
July 9, 2010 7:40:11 PM

The only thing powering anything, to me, is the artists. Whether you use AMD CPU's and GPU's or Intel and NVIDIA to do it, is kind of pointless at this point in time.
Score
July 9, 2010 7:43:34 PM

luc vrUgh what no Opterons?

Says quite clearly
Quote:
Unfortunately, hardware specifics--such as the actual setup of the rigs used at Troublemaker--wasn't provided.

Score
July 9, 2010 7:45:03 PM

But at the start it says
Quote:
More specifically, the studio used six-core AMD Opteron processors and ATI FirePro GPUs to get the job done.

So whats it gonna be?

Score
July 9, 2010 7:47:02 PM

Yeah, I'm not up on any of it, but it'd be nice to know if they have access to the cloud as well and how/if that helped.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 7:49:43 PM

This just in famous scientist uses HP calculator to derive the general theory of everything, says HP made it possible. No.
Score
July 9, 2010 7:54:36 PM

Was a good movie. Didn't go for acting, but I went for gore and I was happy with the movie :D  Who doesn't lover predator!
Score
July 9, 2010 7:55:37 PM

fatskilllletThis just in famous scientist uses HP calculator to derive the general theory of everything, says HP made it possible. No.

Yes because he would have been much better off using his abacus or building his own calculator.
Score
July 9, 2010 8:01:31 PM

jonpaul37meanwhile, Nvidia Stock keeps sliding into nothingness... I REALLY wish Nvidia & AMD would team up and compete with the evil blue Intel...

are you aware the amd already merged with ati, nvidia's main competitor?
Score
July 9, 2010 8:01:51 PM

Yes, they tried Intel CPUs and nVidia cards first, but... oh noes... the lighting was... somewhat off... the scenes were too bright and had a "happy" hint which is a no-no in this dark and scary movie... D'oh!
Score
July 9, 2010 8:12:54 PM

what's the big deal here? You use what you are vested in. Whether its AMD/ATI stuff or Intel/Nvidia. Or Canon or Nikon or whatever "system" you have your money sunk into. Don't make this a fanboy fan off.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 8:20:32 PM

bison88However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country. A movie about a bunch of Mexican-Americans killing white people and then white people in turn killing Mexicans just doesn't sit well with me. Hollywood always has this sick political agenda no matter whose the actor or what the story line curtails.

What the heck are you talking about? Machete is based on the faux movie preview for "Machete" shown between Planet Terror and Death Proof in the Grindhouse double feature Rodriguez released with Quentin Tarantino. And just so you know, the Arizona law is a reaction to the pre-existing border violence, not a cause of it. Pull your head from your ass once in a while to see the real state of the world.
Score
July 9, 2010 8:31:43 PM

bison88However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country.

Tell me this statement is supposed to be a joke...if not, give me some of whatever you're smokin' 'cause it must be MIGHTY potent!

Score
July 9, 2010 8:46:52 PM

filmman03Not necessarily. I've seen tons of companies here in Hollywood using Mac Pro's with the Intel Quad's in them, however, there are companies that use the AMD chips as well. Just depends on preference really.This BS that Mac's are "better" for multi-media is shear myth. They are more expensive and are pretty. The hardware in them is the same as what you can get in a PC and OSX isn't the key factor either. Again preference. People want to believe that OSX is superior to Windows simply because it is unlikely to acquire viruses and spyware. The important thing to understand is compatibility and usage. Windows, just like OSX can be used for hours upon hours without any issues and just like Windows, OSX get the dreaded "BSOD" but called a "Kernel Panic" instead. I have seen on several occasions Mac's locking up due to Kernel Panic's when editors are working or assistant editors are importing footage. Anyway, its good to see TroubleMaker Studios using the underdog, AMD/ATI. I use and AMD Phenom X4 2.5GHz paired with the ATI Radeon HD 4770 GPU and 4GB to cut trailers and commercials plus it doubles as my Gaming PC. AMD FTW!

AMD Opterons and AMD/ATI's lineup of FirePro Graphics Rendering devices are not underdogs. Your mistaking consumer end products for actual business/development products.

These movies WERE NOT made with phenoms/athlons and radeons FYI.
Score
July 9, 2010 9:08:10 PM

Doesnt surprise me ,they're stuff is cheap, and right now has great GPU's that compete awesomely for the price.
Score
July 9, 2010 10:01:50 PM

Strider-Hiryu_79AMD Opterons and AMD/ATI's lineup of FirePro Graphics Rendering devices are not underdogs. Your mistaking consumer end products for actual business/development products.These movies WERE NOT made with phenoms/athlons and radeons FYI.

By "underdogs" he meant AMD/ATI vs Intel/Nvidia
Score
July 9, 2010 10:22:16 PM

AMD... kills.
Score
July 9, 2010 11:46:54 PM

Studios have been using AMD Opterons for years to do animation...this is not something new. I actually think they prefer the Opteron from some of the interviews I watched.
Score
July 10, 2010 12:20:47 AM

hellwigWhat the heck are you talking about? Machete is based on the faux movie preview for "Machete" shown between Planet Terror and Death Proof in the Grindhouse double feature Rodriguez released with Quentin Tarantino. And just so you know, the Arizona law is a reaction to the pre-existing border violence, not a cause of it. Pull your head from your ass once in a while to see the real state of the world.

Oh really? Just a "extension" from the other Tarantino movies ehh?

Explain....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxcVzwLR1k
Score
July 10, 2010 4:40:57 AM

What happened do the 12-core Optys?
Score
July 10, 2010 5:22:37 AM

bison88Oh really? Just a "extension" from the other Tarantino movies ehh?Explain....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxcVzwLR1k

I take back everything I said. I'm astounded. However I for one can not wait for the fun this will actually bring to America.
Score
July 10, 2010 6:56:43 AM

I have an intel chip and an amd but on my editing I used amd, I am comfortable with amd processor.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2010 7:28:32 PM

hellwig You want the biggest bang for your buck, and AMD is pretty darn good in that segment.

Nah, not really.

Especially not with the Atom server, and the upcoming 48/128core intel processor probably some lower powered Atom processors in a raid).

For the price Intel gives you (WAAAAY) more bang for the buck.
Yes, AMD is pretty powerful, but Intel is efficient.
The total cost of what an AMD serverfarm does as far as work, you could invest in a much better and cheaper Intel system, with more cores, better work distribution, shorter deadlines, and lower powerconsumption.

If they owned the AMD farm already, then no need to invest in anything else.
However if you could switch a large room full of servers, to a toilet sized room, that performs on par or even better, I'd take the latter.
Score
July 10, 2010 9:56:44 PM

Atom can do the same. you just need 150 of those.
Score
July 11, 2010 9:34:57 AM

ALL out for Intel NVIDIA
Score
July 11, 2010 2:54:27 PM

In terms of raw speed for this specific task, judging from performance of Intel these days, it would seem clear that an intel farm would do the work faster... however, the actual time savings is not worth the added cost to the film studio, since movies generally take days to render any way. Why spend 25 - 50% more for only a 10% time savings? The quality of the imagery isnt at all affected by what type of CPU is used, so the whole idea of using amd for this task seems to be a matter of economics.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2010 10:47:50 PM

Nice to know what they're using. I'd go with an AMD myself if I were in that guy's position.
Score
July 12, 2010 8:56:38 PM

tearlach2I take back everything I said. I'm astounded. However I for one can not wait for the fun this will actually bring to America.

Machete started as a gag trailer in Grindhouse ( like the Don't! trailer )
After they decided to make it into a full movie, they connected it to the Arizona immigration act mayhem as a background ( cause unfortunately mindless Hollywood had ran out of creativity ).

Notice that in the Grindhouse trailer, they only speak about illegal immigrants in general, not mentioning Arizona, or any newer, more specific events.
Score
July 13, 2010 5:02:06 PM

i see AMD make progress
Score
!