SLI for socket 754

pat

Expert
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050926_114027.html" target="_new">from epox</A>

No future for socket 754.. get 939... Yeah..

Get that motherboard, a 2.4GHz 3400+ 754 CPU and you'll have one hell of a gaming machine for not too much money.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. Still making Wingding's envy...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I really can't imagine anyone willing to fork out for an SLI system who would be happy with a Sempron, or any S754 system really.

Not that I think it's crap, just I can't really see where the market is - except people who already have a 3700+ and want SLI without a new processor or something, but that's going to be limited.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

pat

Expert
If, as the article said, the Sempron score differ by less than 10 points from a 939 3000+, then I dont see why gamers would not get a higher clocked Sempron to have more money to spend on video card. And since games are not yet optimized for dual core, then when they will be, I'm sure that new CPU with new socket would be better than having to put an older X2 to an outdated 939 board...

And, the 3700+, being in the same league that the 4000+ 939, at a much lower price, make for a fast gaming system. At a very good price.

(\__/)
(='.'=)

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'm just looking at the sorts of people who'll want it. Those who are willing to fork out $800 purely on graphics cards for SLI are the kind of 'Want the best' d00ds who'll simply never be happy with a sempron, and/or single-channel RAM.

There's a limited appeal to the upgrade market, yes, but that makes up such a small % it almost seems worthless.

And - although there are CPU benchies in 3dmark - the vast majority of it is simply scripted stuff (AFAIK anyway) which isn't going to put <i>any</i> strain on the CPU really - no AI or physics to distract it from merely shunting chunks of data around. It's just too heavily focussed on the graphics card, especially later versions - I suspect the difference in 3dmark 2001 would be considerably larger.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

pat

Expert
Those who are willing to fork out $800 purely on graphics cards for SLI are the kind of 'Want the best' d00ds who'll simply never be happy with a sempron, and/or single-channel RAM.

Those guys simply won't be happy with anything.

I did had a 754 3000+ and a 939 3000+ and I still have to find one apps that will make me see than my 3000+ 939 is faster than my old one and that dual channel on memory make a difference.

I've been long enough in this industry to be amazed only by number. I need to see real benefit to a technology before believing in it. And for now, going 939 over 754, sata2 over sata1, PCIe over AGP never prove anything that was worth it to justify the change. Except for specs number. I rather get real life experience than marketing promises.. But, at the speed this industry is avancing, maybe next years, all those technology will make sence sto have, but new one will be in the speaking and will make people wainting for them anyway...

(\__/)
(='.'=)

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
There's always something better than what you have just around the corner.

The moral of the story is, if you're not happy with your hardware, overclock it! :evil:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>