MSN Messenger and Linksys WRT54G router?

Does anyone know what to configure to make MSN Messenger connect properly on
a Linksys WRT54G router? Save for turning off the firewall and enabling
wireless encryption (which shouldn't affect a wired connection) I haven't
messed with any settings. I can't so much as get a connection! I know my
software firewall isn't the issue, as the same thing happens when I disable
that. I am using the newest firmware on the router as well. Any ideas?

--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

Have you already turned on UPnP?

-Yves

"Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what to configure to make MSN Messenger connect properly
> on a Linksys WRT54G router? Save for turning off the firewall and enabling
> wireless encryption (which shouldn't affect a wired connection) I haven't
> messed with any settings. I can't so much as get a connection! I know my
> software firewall isn't the issue, as the same thing happens when I
> disable that. I am using the newest firmware on the router as well. Any
> ideas?
>
> --
> Chris Lemon
> clemon79@comcast.net
> http://fredsmythe.com
> EFNet: FredSmyth

I have a WRT54G using WPA encryption and I have the router firewall enabled
and MSN Messenger works fine. I have made no special arrangement on the
WRT54G.

Dave G

"Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what to configure to make MSN Messenger connect properly
> on a Linksys WRT54G router? Save for turning off the firewall and enabling
> wireless encryption (which shouldn't affect a wired connection) I haven't
> messed with any settings. I can't so much as get a connection! I know my
> software firewall isn't the issue, as the same thing happens when I
> disable that. I am using the newest firmware on the router as well. Any
> ideas?
>
> --
> Chris Lemon
> clemon79@comcast.net
> http://fredsmythe.com
> EFNet: FredSmyth

UPnP has been enabled since I installed the WRT54G.

Dave G

"Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
> Have you already turned on UPnP?
>
> -Yves
>
> "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know what to configure to make MSN Messenger connect properly
>> on a Linksys WRT54G router? Save for turning off the firewall and
>> enabling wireless encryption (which shouldn't affect a wired connection)
>> I haven't messed with any settings. I can't so much as get a connection!
>> I know my software firewall isn't the issue, as the same thing happens
>> when I disable that. I am using the newest firmware on the router as
>> well. Any ideas?
>>
>> --
>> Chris Lemon
>> clemon79@comcast.net
>> http://fredsmythe.com
>> EFNet: FredSmyth

One problem I had with MSN Messenger was that upon installation of XP SP2,
the UPnP and related ports were blocked and so I could only use text (no
audio/video). Check your firewall to make sure that there are exceptions
for the UPnP-related ports.

-Yves

"Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> UPnP has been enabled since I installed the WRT54G.
>
> Dave G
>
> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
>> Have you already turned on UPnP?
>>
>> -Yves
>>
>> "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know what to configure to make MSN Messenger connect
>>> properly on a Linksys WRT54G router? Save for turning off the firewall
>>> and enabling wireless encryption (which shouldn't affect a wired
>>> connection) I haven't messed with any settings. I can't so much as get a
>>> connection! I know my software firewall isn't the issue, as the same
>>> thing happens when I disable that. I am using the newest firmware on the
>>> router as well. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Lemon
>>> clemon79@comcast.net
>>> http://fredsmythe.com
>>> EFNet: FredSmyth

Thanks for the replies, folks. I have no idea what happened right, but I
woke up this morning and everything was working fine. (And I don't think it
was on MSN's end because other friends of mine were connected to MSN. At any
rate, all three of my machines connect, and all report that I'm connected
via a UPnP port-restricted NAT. So that problem is fixed. Go figure. I'm not
about to look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

Still got a couple other things to work out, but they're not really wireless
problems per se (actually, I suppose neither was this, so I apologize for
the off-topic post) so I'll see if there is a more appropriate group to
inquire in.

Thanks again!
--
Chris Lemon