Gears of War, BioShock Added to GFWL Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I'm all for this, more competition for steam the better. I loved the "perils of summer" sale.[/citation]

Steam, Battle.net, GFWL, Impulse, competition is great because we get some great prices.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I had to install GFWL to run Kane and Lynch (which I downloaded from Steam stupidly enough). It's buggy (maybe it conflicts with Steam), and it wants my Windows Live ID (which I don't think I actually have, is that the same as my .NET Passport). I think I'm going to uninstall it, the game is not worth playing anyway (it's buggy too).

Only 49 games? I own more than that on Steam. It might be worth it if they offered something not already on Steam, but there's no good reason to use it right now. Is this the same system they use for X-Box live? Not that I own an X-Box, but do GFWL and X-Box live interact (i.e. with points, friends, etc...), or are they completely unrelated services? Knowing microsoft the two aren't anything alike (except they can use the same Live! ID).

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i dont think this would affect steam as to make lower prices. Steam makes special offers almost every week and they are all awesome. This weekend we get serious sam 2 free test drive and 50% off.

Last week I bought the half life 2 pack for a measilie 7 bucks.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]i dont think this would affect steam as to make lower prices. Steam makes special offers almost every week and they are all awesome. This weekend we get serious sam 2 free test drive and 50% off. Last week I bought the half life 2 pack for a measilie 7 bucks.[/citation]

Correction: almost every day!

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I just don't like it when games force you to use multiple online services. GFWL is fine, but why do I have to use it when I buy one of their games through Steam. Ditto for EA Gand Cerberus (what total crap), Rockstar or any game that uses (shudder) Gamespy.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I'm all for this, more competition for steam the better. I loved the "perils of summer" sale.[/citation]

I agree but I'm still not getting a GFWL account any time soon... they already get enough of my money.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Gears of War title from Epic Games, costing $19.99 or 1600 Microsoft Points. Other new releases are BioShock for the same price

they are absolutely crazy if they expect to get anything by selling Bioshock for $20, Steam has put it on sale for $5 for AT LEAST 3 times in the past year

[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]I like the competition, but I dread the thought of having more than one client open at a time. That might just be me though.[/citation]

yeah i like competition, but microsoft is not making steam break a sweat... they need to bring out halo 3 for pc and maybe then it'll stand a chance, but the UI for GFWL is horrendous.. open game, sign in, 'this game requires update' [WHOOP DE FREAKIN DO], you update, the game closes, then it needs to update on your desktop [explain the redundancy please], then sign in AND U FINALLY GET TO PLAY... i like steam better, download, and play. updates are done during the download

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]I just don't like it when games force you to use multiple online services. GFWL is fine, but why do I have to use it when I buy one of their games through Steam. Ditto for EA Gand Cerberus (what total crap), Rockstar or any game that uses (shudder) Gamespy.[/citation]

Because they may like one offering of an online service but not the other. For a good example, read up on Dawn of War 2. The devs used both Steam and GFWL. The reason they did that is the better distribution and acceptance of Steam, but they didn't like the Steamworks matchmaking system, so they used the GFWL one.

Most online services come with special features, so devs will mix and match sometimes.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I had to install GFWL to run Kane and Lynch (which I downloaded from Steam stupidly enough). It's buggy (maybe it conflicts with Steam), and it wants my Windows Live ID (which I don't think I actually have, is that the same as my .NET Passport). I think I'm going to uninstall it, the game is not worth playing anyway (it's buggy too).Only 49 games? I own more than that on Steam. It might be worth it if they offered something not already on Steam, but there's no good reason to use it right now. Is this the same system they use for X-Box live? Not that I own an X-Box, but do GFWL and X-Box live interact (i.e. with points, friends, etc...), or are they completely unrelated services? Knowing microsoft the two aren't anything alike (except they can use the same Live! ID).[/citation]

To answer your questions, Yes your XBox live ID and Windows Live ID are the same ID's just like all other Microsoft services. Secondly yes GFWL and Xbox Live do interact with each other you can communicate with friends and earn achievements. Only addition I would like to see is the ability to send messages without being in a game.

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]or any game that uses (shudder) Gamespy.[/citation]

Wow Gamespy is still going? I remember using that for my first week or two of online gaming before discovering ASE and dumping it for that, this was back in the days of MoHAA.

Oh Yahoo why did you kill my ASE :(

Status
Not open for further replies.