User cannot print to OfficeJet 7310xi

Hi --

I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running Norton
Antivirus 2005.

Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new HP
OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected directly to
the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the PCs on the LAN.
I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing and scanning to that
OfficeJet without any problems.

I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on the
Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
completed without error.

From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as the
local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she is
unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
Printing."

I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.

I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with the
error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."

I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions ranged
from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to installing
a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.

The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN (one
of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like I
mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
administrator account.

The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without a
problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).

Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't run
on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about uncertified
drivers.)

I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?

Thanks,
CL

Charles Lavin wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running
> Norton Antivirus 2005.
>
> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a
> new HP OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected
> directly to the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to
> the PCs on the LAN. I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X
> printing and scanning to that OfficeJet without any problems.
>
> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer
> on the Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The
> installation completed without error.
>
> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged
> as the local administrator. When the user logs in with her user
> account, she is unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue,
> labeled "Error - Printing."
>
> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>
> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161,
> with the error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67
> (0x43)."
> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying
> to solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the
> definite impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His
> suggestions ranged from changing the permissions of all files in
> Windows\System32 to installing a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>
> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the
> LAN (one of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account.
> And like I mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the
> local administrator account.
>
> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer
> without a problem -- but those users are local administrators (at
> least for now).
> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that
> won't run on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain
> about uncertified drivers.)
>
> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would
> make those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just
> regular users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the
> Windows boxes?
> Thanks,
> CL

So...can the XP ping the printer successfully? Is the printer seen on
the XP network? Open the printer properties, ports tab. Is the printer
port address specified correctly? See also that bi-directional support
is checked on the ports page.

Otherwise, how, exactly, did you install the printer on the XP? Did you
use the add printer wizard to install a network printer or did you use
some other process?

Resolution:

Remov the HP Standard TCP/IP port and replace it
with a Windows Standard TCP/IP port.

To do so, open the Printer and Faxes from Control Panel. Click File,
click Server Properies. Click Ports tab and delete HP Standard TCP/IP
port
and Click Add port, choose Standard TCP/IP port.

Rajesh

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic78289.html

I have a new (week old today!) 7310xi and have had similar problems.
I have a Windows 2k machine with Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2003 and
one with NIS 2005.
The NIS 2003 machine works fine, the NIS 2005 does not.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not fix the problem
(in fact, it caused others).
After installing the second time, I suspected NIS so I turned it off and
tried printing as an non-administrator.
It worked!
I snooped around the NIS configuration trying to find some setting that
would cause this and found none.
Finally, I gave up and reenabled NIS.
After reenabling NIS I noticed that my non-administrator user could
still print.
In fact, other (all) non-administrator users could print as well.

Good luck!

Charles Lavin wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running Norton
> Antivirus 2005.
>
> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new HP
> OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected directly to
> the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the PCs on the LAN.
> I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing and scanning to that
> OfficeJet without any problems.
>
> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on the
> Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
> completed without error.
>
> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as the
> local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she is
> unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
> Printing."
>
> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>
> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with the
> error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."
>
> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
> solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
> impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions ranged
> from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to installing
> a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>
> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN (one
> of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like I
> mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
> administrator account.
>
> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without a
> problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).
>
> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't run
> on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about uncertified
> drivers.)
>
> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
> those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
> users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?
>
> Thanks,
> CL

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I was a little hasty.
It turns out the fix isn't quite so simple.

Non administrator users on a machine with Norton Internet Security 2005
firewall cannot print.
This can be fixed by configuring the firewall as follows:

Norton Internet Security: Status & Settings: Personal Firewall: Configure
Programs: Microsoft Printer Spooler Service: Modify...
Manually configure for Internet Access
Add
Action
Permit

Connections
Connections to and from other computers

Computers
Only the computers and sites listed below
Add
Individually
224.0.1.60
Adapters
Any Adapter

Communications
UDP
Only the types of communications or ports listed below
Add
Individually specified ports
Local
427
Add
Individually specified ports
Remote
427

Tracking

Description
Microsoft Printer Spooler Service Multicast hp-device-disc Rule
General

Locations

hp-device-disc Rule
Action: Permit