cpu upgrade on 6835

i wantto upgrade the cpu on my wifes hp 6835. Does anyone know if this
is possible or where i can find info on this task?

i'll probably go with the memory

but can you give me an idea of the price omn those processors?

Well, you won't find a direct answer to your question on the HP web site. And
Asus or Trigem makes the motherboard in the 6835, but they won't tell you
either. Few of the name brand manufacturers will tell you much about upgrades
for their systems, and HP is certainly among the worst in terms of having useful
tech support info on its web site. (By comparison, IBM's web site has complete
service manuals which tell you all the processor speeds that ever shipped with a
given motherboard, and Dell's web site has very detailed technical data about
all systems going back to the original Dell 286.) Both Asus and Trigem have
contracts with HP that essentially protect them from having to respond to HP
owners about their motherboards in HP systems.

The specs for the machine are at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59480&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph06438

The most important bit of information is "Intel 810 chipset."'

It is extremely unlikely that that the motherboard supports the Pentium 3 or
Celeron processors which operate at voltages lower than 1.65v. So the fastest
choices are:

Pentium 3 at 1.0GHz
Celeron at 1.1GHz
PowerLeap kit with 1.4GHz Celeron

The 1GHz Pentium 3 is pricey because it is in short supply. Both the 1GHz P3
and the 1.1GHz Celeron come in two operating voltages, 1.65v and 1.475v. Assume
that the lower voltage cannot be used. Neither CPU will make much of a
difference in performance.

The PowerLeap kit is also pricey, but you would see the difference.

If the system has only the original 128MB, an upgrade to 256MB, 384MB, or 512MB
would improve overall performance more than a faster processor... Ben Myers

On 14 Feb 2005 19:48:23 -0800, "hmni" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote:

>i wantto upgrade the cpu on my wifes hp 6835. Does anyone know if this
>is possible or where i can find info on this task?

The PowerLeap kit is around $100. I've heard of adapters comparable to the
PowerLeap, but I have no first-hand experience with them.

Celeron processors are around $30.

Pentium 3 processors cost even more, and are certainly not worth it.

.... Ben Myers