external antenna recommendation wanted

I was just looking at cellantenna.com and they have a 2" mag mount and a 4"
magmount. Both are rated at 3db gain, both have a 1" magnet, both come with
10' of rg58 cable, both are $19.95 plus $9.95 for the adaptor. Can anybody
recommend one or the other, based on personal experience? (If it matters,
this is not for my VZW VX4400, but for my father's Cingular TDMA Nokia
5165, in the city of Chicago.)

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that
one's work is terribly important." - Bertrand Russell
3 answers Last reply
More about external antenna recommendation wanted

    In article <hqcqj05q0gpju72vfnc15cjaucmf7j5slt@4ax.com>,
    dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net says...
    > I was just looking at cellantenna.com and they have a 2" mag mount and a 4"
    > magmount. Both are rated at 3db gain, both have a 1" magnet, both come with
    > 10' of rg58 cable, both are $19.95 plus $9.95 for the adaptor. Can anybody
    > recommend one or the other, based on personal experience? (If it matters,
    > this is not for my VZW VX4400, but for my father's Cingular TDMA Nokia
    > 5165, in the city of Chicago.)

    The "MagnaMount" that I have practically raved about, is different from
    this and is made by Wilson. It is 3". It is also more expensive and
    it's possible these are just as good, but be aware, they are not the
    same.

    You can look at the Wison site or at alternativewireless.com and search
    for the magnamount. BTW, I and my daughter (at the other end of the
    country), both use it on our 4400s with a noticeable improvement.

    Louise

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:11:35 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> chose to add this to the great equation
    of life, the universe, and everything:

    >I was just looking at cellantenna.com and they have a 2" mag mount and a 4"
    >magmount. Both are rated at 3db gain, both have a 1" magnet, both come with
    >10' of rg58 cable, both are $19.95 plus $9.95 for the adaptor. Can anybody
    >recommend one or the other, based on personal experience? (If it matters,
    >this is not for my VZW VX4400, but for my father's Cingular TDMA Nokia
    >5165, in the city of Chicago.)

    Never mind, he got a new GSM phone today, and while not perfect, it is
    getting better reception than the 5165 (at least he's not breaking up all
    the time).

    I'd still like to know which antenna is better, though.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Recently I had the most surreal weekend of my life. It goes without saying
    that this happened in Los Angeles." - Dave Barry

    "David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:11:35 GMT, David S
    > <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> chose to add this to the great equation
    > of life, the universe, and everything:
    >
    > >I was just looking at cellantenna.com and they have a 2" mag mount and a
    4"
    > >magmount. Both are rated at 3db gain, both have a 1" magnet, both come
    with
    > >10' of rg58 cable, both are $19.95 plus $9.95 for the adaptor. Can
    anybody
    > >recommend one or the other, based on personal experience? (If it matters,
    > >this is not for my VZW VX4400, but for my father's Cingular TDMA Nokia
    > >5165, in the city of Chicago.)
    >
    > Never mind, he got a new GSM phone today, and while not perfect, it is
    > getting better reception than the 5165 (at least he's not breaking up all
    > the time).
    >
    > I'd still like to know which antenna is better, though.
    >
    > --

    While the cellantenna.com site is good, I find the www.wilsoncellular.com
    site to be a tad more useful, and almost all the truck stop stores have em
    in stock, cuz the drivers use em. Know what they say about eat where the
    truckers eat? Seems to me that use what the truckers use is a good thing to
    keep in mind when shopping for things that work and stand up to rough
    treatment.
    PS Note that Wilson also has a website for their CB antennas, different than
    the site above for their CELL antennas (cb at www.wilsonantenna.com)

Verizon Internet Service Providers