Moving from Windows to Linux

JAllison

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
I'm thinking of making the move to Linux on my laptop, but I have some concerns before I leap. This may all be addressed in a FAQ, which I'd be happy to read.

Based on what I use my laptop for, the following questions and comments come to mind:

* Web browsing and email. I already use Firefox and Thunderbird, so I don't see a problem here. Presumably I can backup my mail from the Windows version and restore it in the Linux version of TBird.

* Office apps. I have MS Office installed, which I use primarily for Word and Excel. A little PowerPoint, but not much. I have used StarOffice in the past, so I suppose I can beat OpenOffice into submission.

* Publishing. I edit our local Audubon chapter newsletter, for which I use MS Publisher. What equivalent is there for Linux?

* IM. Are there AIM and Yahoo IM clients?

* USB. I hear horror stories about USB support in Linux. Will I be able to use my USB storage devices and mouse?

* I run a few once-in-a-while programs on the laptop. For example, I run ProntoEdit to program my Pronto remote. I doubt that there is a Linux equivalent is there?

* Music management. I have a copy of all my music on the laptop, managed with iTunes. What's the Linux equivalent of iTunes?

* Is there a way to sync my Palm OS handheld with info on the Linux side? Is there a Linux version of Palm Desktop?

* Sleep & hibernate. Are these functions supported?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. This is a move I'd like to make, but I'm concerned that I'll lose functionality on which I depend.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Web/email: same as windows... you got it.

Office apps: Star office, but I like open office myself

Publishing: Not sure... try google?

IM: GAIM is a great IM program. It's got windows binaries too and I use it both in windows and linux. Does ICQ, MSN, AIM, Y, IRC, Jabber...

USB: With mandrake you plug it in, and a new icon pops up on your desktop. It's that simple.

Once in a while: Try wine or codeweavers? There are a lot of little freeware linux apps that are equivalent to many windows programs. Again, google is your friend.

Music: I don't think there's a linux version of iTunes. You can try to wine it, and I'm pretty sure there's a codeweavers version. I just use xmms (winamp).

Palm stuff: Check out Ximian Evolution maybe?

Sleep and hibernate should be supported yes.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

JAllison

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
Thanks for the info silverpig. For publishing, Scribus looks worth investigating (http://www.scribus.org.uk/index.php).