Sign in with
Your question

Best space game

Last response: in Video Games
October 15, 2010 12:35:14 PM

Dear friends,

Which is best intergalactic space game where lot of spaceship fights are there. planets, galaxy and other space with lot of terror and space travelling and shooting experience.

More about : space game

October 15, 2010 1:07:06 PM

Do your mean strategy game, where you build fleets and control all the ships, or space combat, where you only fly one ship and shoot others down?
m
l
October 15, 2010 4:15:26 PM

Master of Orion, but you really can't ask for a "best" game as people like different things. Like asking for a best food.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2010 6:41:34 PM

Agreed...if TS is looking for strategy then MOO 1 & 2, Galactic Civilizations 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire are really good places to start.

Only space sim I played was Freespace 2...but it was freaking awesome. I imagine even nowadays it would still be good, if not a little dated in the graphics department.
m
l
October 15, 2010 7:40:31 PM

jamus34 said:
Agreed...if TS is looking for strategy then MOO 1 & 2, Galactic Civilizations 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire are really good places to start.

Only space sim I played was Freespace 2...but it was freaking awesome. I imagine even nowadays it would still be good, if not a little dated in the graphics department.

+1

Freespace 2 was the greatest Space shooter ever! I can't believe they didn't continue that franchise!
m
l
October 15, 2010 9:02:59 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
+1

Freespace 2 was the greatest Space shooter ever! I can't believe they didn't continue that franchise!

You can blame Inteplay for that. They didn't advertise the game much even though Freespace was pretty successful. Most likely due to mis-manage throughout the entire company, they were working on too many titles at the same time. The company that developed Freespace; Volition; was acquired by THQ but Interplay still owned the rights to the Freespace franchise. THQ didn't want to license the rights from Interplay.
A few years later Interplay collapsed (2005 or 2006).

To the best of my knowledge, Interplay is still liquidating itself to pay off it's debts and it still owns the rights to Freespace. I'm just glad that Bethesda managed to pry out the rights to Fallout from thier deathgrasp. Unfortunately, it is unlikely anyone will acquire the rights to Freesapce simply because of the fact that the Space Sim genre is a minor niche in the overall flight simulation genre which itself is very small compared to the entire gaming pie.

Currently there are not many space combat sims. The most popluar is arguably the "X-Series" which started back in 1999 (I think). The titles include X: Beyond the Frontier, X2: The Threat, X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict (released in 2008). This is not a pure combat space sim; you can focus only on combat, but then you are ignoring the rest of the game which involves trading, empire build (commerical space stations and you own fleet of capital ships), and exploring. I like it, but its not for everyone. Best played for it's "sandbox" style of gameplay.

The other game is Darkstar One and was released back in 2006. I never played it. You can download it for $9.99.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darkstar_one

The only other space combat sim the I know of is Star Trek Legacy (Bethesda) from 2006 / 2007. From the reviews I've read it was kinda buggy / difficult to control the ship.
m
l
October 16, 2010 2:08:44 PM

X-series is "good" but a bit "small" for my liking, dont get me wrong theres plenty to do, built complex's, factories mines, headquarters, build fleets of destroyers, fight massive odds in small ships etc etc, its a good game, but the galaxy is a bit confined for my liking. Its a good enough game for me to have racked up many hundreds of hours across the versions and Ive owned multiple copies of most of the versions over time.

Another long term favourite is "oolite" first of - its free! Its a remake of the grandfather of all space shooter traders - elite. The graphics can be stripped back to wireframe if retro uis your thing, or theres options through oxp expansions to take the graphics to near modern commercial quality. The same is tru of the content, you can play it in classsic 80's mode, or expand it massively with all sort of content. Well worth a look :lol: 
m
l
October 16, 2010 3:47:47 PM

Going back to classic gaming era here, but the Wing Commander series is still my favourite space combat sim ever made. The Star Wars ones (X-Wing, TIE Fighter) are also classic games that are fun to play even today.

As far as space strategy is concerned, the Homeworld series is fantastic and an absolute MUST. Star Wars: Empire at War is also great, especially if you're a SW fan.
m
l
October 16, 2010 9:00:44 PM

The X series is pretty fun if you want something where you fly the spaceship yourself and get into dogfights.

X3 Reunion / Terran Conflict is great looking too.

I still think the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games are my favorite of all time. :(  I recall them coming on 6 floppy disks to install. Epic, epic stuff back then. Nobody has made anything as fun ever since if you ask me.
m
l
October 17, 2010 2:08:12 PM

I always wondered why freespace series fell off as well. Looks like jaguar is a big fan. Thanks for that info.

best space game:
Eve online

Best space game u can actually fly with a joystick:
freespace 2. And yes you can still play it just fine. Has hundreds of mods.

Best strategy space game:

Sins of a solar empire, homeworld 2, that other game exactly like these 2.
m
l
October 17, 2010 2:11:09 PM

potential future space games:

-new starwars old republic

-jumpgate

Worst space game ever:

Star trek online
m
l
October 17, 2010 7:41:45 PM

TRY MASS EFFECT 2 its realy great game in space games , because u have to handle dialogs in it try each dialog will change ur game , games has ACTION , senseful , comedy , love & romance , scenes that will make u upset after all its very great game with high quality , its something like deuse EX . try it
m
l
October 18, 2010 1:56:27 AM

Back in 1998, Descent II from Interplay was a big hit. Instead exploring free space, Descent explores mines deep underground beneath a planet with your ship armed with guns armaments & rockets, find the mine core, destroy it and escape.
The graphic was amazing, and it's the first game that enables 9-ways of controlling a ship; up-down-turn left-turn right-back-forward-strafeleft-strafe right- and 360 degree spin.
m
l
Anonymous
October 18, 2010 7:14:35 AM

Wow none mentioned the current mother of all space games Eve? Its a fantastic and frustrating game all at the same time as once you learn how to play, you have to dedicate lots of "time" (online or offline) to learning skills (an automatic process, pick a skill and it may take 2 minutes or 2 weeks dependant on your stats and its complexity). So you will be playing for quite a while just to get piloting the nice ships and getting involved in higher end stuff...

Still graphics are A+ and most of the community are really helpful to noobs so I thoroughly recommend it.

Powda
m
l
October 18, 2010 8:35:21 AM

digvijaysingh said:
Dear friends,

Which is best intergalactic space game where lot of spaceship fights are there. planets, galaxy and other space with lot of terror and space travelling and shooting experience.

Hey! Are you ever coming back? Plenty of replies by now...
m
l
October 18, 2010 9:56:22 AM

I am looking for single player space ship with lot of exploration, good visuals with graphics and battles with aliens. etc.
lots of options are there. but if popularity wise please name them
m
l
October 18, 2010 11:30:57 AM

Hmmm, Microsoft's Freelancer seems to be the game your looking for. Not sure on the alien front but you captain a single ship, you trade, you fight, you explore.

Not really to much in the way of modern games like that however...as someone stated the Space genre (minus RTS's) in general have been dying off.
m
l
October 18, 2010 1:19:09 PM

digvijaysingh said:
I am looking for single player space ship with lot of exploration, good visuals with graphics and battles with aliens. etc.
lots of options are there. but if popularity wise please name them

All these flashbacks, this is the best thread i've seen in a while (just hit home with all the old school titles).

To answer your question, the best Space Simulator I know is the EVE ONLINE series. That said, there's a monthly fee but if you have the pockets and the machine to run the game (DX10/DX11), you won't find much better.
m
l
October 18, 2010 2:41:36 PM

Quote:
Wow none mentioned the current mother of all space games Eve? Its a fantastic and frustrating game all at the same time as once you learn how to play, you have to dedicate lots of "time" (online or offline) to learning skills (an automatic process, pick a skill and it may take 2 minutes or 2 weeks dependant on your stats and its complexity). So you will be playing for quite a while just to get piloting the nice ships and getting involved in higher end stuff...

Still graphics are A+ and most of the community are really helpful to noobs so I thoroughly recommend it.

Powda

you missed when i mentioned...eve as the best. Thanks for reading. Graphics are not A+, but slowly stepped up as folks avg. pc standards increase.
m
l
October 18, 2010 3:17:07 PM

My opinion:

From what you said (single player, combat , aliens, trading) I would heartily recommend the X series.

I've mostly played X3 Terran Conflict (X3TC) the most recent one.

STEAM recently put on sale the X megabox (It's available elsewhere as well) - basically, the developers and the community who play the X games have an extremely strong relationship, and the new release is ALL of the X games ever released, plus all patches etc, plus an enormous wodge of content generated by the community.

It's a fantastic game, and you can play it a million ways. Check the official forums for it - a few people make storytelling posts, usually known as DID (Dead Is Dead) posts, where they play a game until their character is killed (often this takes months) and write up their onscreen exploits in a fun story-based way.

It really is an almost infinitely replayable game - one run through you might spend nearly all your time in a small fighter craft blowing up aliens, the next you might play as the boss of a mighty trading empire with (literally) hundreds of ships under your command, plus space stations, factories and even your own shipyards. One of the best time-and-enjoyment-vs-cost investments I've ever made.
m
l
October 18, 2010 6:09:48 PM

Quote:

Powda

MASS EFFECT 2 is Same thing i was talk about man . its realy GREAT GAME , ITS WAHT EXACTLY THIS PERSON WANTS < LET HIM ENJOY OF ITS GREAT QUALITY & ALL OTHER THINGS THAT HE WISH TO SEE :bounce:  :D  :sol: 
m
l
October 18, 2010 6:14:27 PM

ya but mass effect is...single player. :D 
m
l
October 18, 2010 7:53:10 PM

honestly I couldnt get into the x games especially x3 terran conflict, but I do recomend sins of a solar empire, great space game
m
l
October 18, 2010 8:11:02 PM

8Vidia said:
MASS EFFECT 2 is Same thing i was talk about man . its realy GREAT GAME , ITS WAHT EXACTLY THIS PERSON WANTS < LET HIM ENJOY OF ITS GREAT QUALITY & ALL OTHER THINGS THAT HE WISH TO SEE :bounce:  :D  :sol: 

I don't think that's what the OP wants though. Mass Effect is more of an RPG game. It's not a joystick type fly your own spaceship and shot down alien space craft kind of game. Mass Effect is much like the Knights of the Old Republic game play, but modernized.
m
l
October 18, 2010 8:22:36 PM

Do u know somethink better than that , oh i forgot this one ( Dark Void ) if u wanna fly ur own space ship u can do it in ME 2 but dark void gives u better control . butaway i dont know if OP plays PC or XBOX ( Consols ) .
m
l
October 19, 2010 11:39:14 AM

So whats ur Problem ? I suggested u one of the best games MASS EFFECT 2 . if not go for Dark Void . but other games are only for shooting . Mass effect 2 is has 1000 other things but just killing , oh it makes u so confused . its great man . DARK VOID is too similar to MAss effect 2 . but mass effect 2 is better .
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:43:44 PM

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think 8vidia likes Mass Effect 2.

Better ask him and check though.
m
l
October 19, 2010 2:44:55 PM

MockingbirdUK said:
I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think 8vidia likes Mass Effect 2.

Better ask him and check though.

What was your first clue? :D 
m
l
October 19, 2010 2:49:39 PM

its not because i like MS 2 , dont get me wrong . Do u know that there is games that playing with ur senses & confuse u ? or make u even cry ? i like such games . forexample Brothers in arm ( music & story was Sad ) . & game like Stalker ( specialy after knowing real story of strelok ) makes u so confused . its like no one know that there is such game !! i know u dont get me but try mass effect 2 then read this again, hehe .

m
l
October 19, 2010 9:57:13 PM

The Lost Viking
m
l
October 20, 2010 7:44:45 AM

thanks guys for answer. I think that i should try out mass effect 2, dark void and eve online to experience space adventure with good thrill.
thanks, lets close it now
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:29:04 AM

sirkillalot said:
Master of Orion

Actually Master of Orion 2 is my al time fave. Moo 1 was awsome as well and the Galactic Civ games were good. But for a plot the old 80's Starflight beats them all hands down.
Dave
m
l
!