How to access FTP between computers on WLAN?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

WLAN consists of 2 laptops: 1 Mac, 1 Dell (WIn XP Pro) served by AirPort
(snow) AP. Mac has FTP mode where others can log in.

Is access between computers possible via the AP? Or must I enable the
"peer-to-peer" mode in the wireless configurations for each computer?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
20 answers Last reply
More about access computers wlan
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <0001HW.BDAF964300413E41F04075B0@news.individual.net>,
    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > WLAN consists of 2 laptops: 1 Mac, 1 Dell (WIn XP Pro) served by AirPort
    > (snow) AP. Mac has FTP mode where others can log in.
    >
    > Is access between computers possible via the AP? Or must I enable the
    > "peer-to-peer" mode in the wireless configurations for each computer?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I think we need pictures.

    The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet via
    your ISP. It also generally means that the devices on the LAN side of
    the router are using non-routing IP addresses.

    In a home situation, the typical setup if

    dialup Modem or
    DSL modem or
    Cable modem
    to ISP and internet

    WLAN Port
    Home Router
    maybe with
    WiFi (802.11b/g) \/\/\/ WiFi laptop(s) or computer(s)
    LAN Port(s) Optional Printer port -> printer

    |___ Computer

    |___ Computer

    |___ Network capable printer

    The only time the WLAN port is just another LAN port is if the router
    has disabled DHCP and NAT services.

    Now in this environment, then ftp can be done between computers at home,
    just use the 10.0.1.* or 192.168.*.* type addresses that are assigned to
    the home computers by the home router's DHCP service. The Mac OS TCP/IP
    Control Panel, or the Mac OS X Network System Preferences will tell you
    the IP address assigned to your Mac by the Router's DHCP service.

    Classic Mac OS does not have an ftp server or ftp client, but they can
    be obtained (http://MacOrchard.com would be good place to look for
    these). Mac OS X ftp server is enabled via the Sharing System
    Preferences, and there are command line ftp commands as part of Mac OS
    X, and you can get GUI ftp clients for Mac OS X
    (http://versiontracker.com/macosx is a good place to look for those).

    Oh yea, most browsers can be FTP clients by using the syntax
    ftp://server.mumble.com/path/to/file/to/download

    If you are trying to do ftp from the Mac across the router to a system
    on the internet, that should just work.

    If you are trying to access your Mac on the LAN side of a home router
    from outside your home, then you need to tell the router to forward the
    ftp port(s) to your Mac. Your Macs DHCP assigned IP address will not be
    directly visible via the internet. Use http://whatismyip.com to find
    out the IP address assigned to your router by your ISP.

    Now if you have some computers on the LAN side of a home router and some
    computers on the WLAN side of a home router and the home router is still
    performing routing services (it has not been turned into a bridge), then
    you can not easily access non-routing home IP addresses (10.*.*.* or
    192.168.*.* type addresses are non-routing).

    Basically we need to know what your configuration looks like before we
    can accurately answer your question.

    Bob Harris
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:08:59 -0800, Bob Harris wrote
    (in article <harris-003644.12085804112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>):

    > The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet via
    > your ISP. It also generally means that the devices on the LAN side of
    > the router are using non-routing IP addresses.

    DSL "modem"---AirPort AP~~~~Mac PowerBook (Mac OS X)

    ~~~~Dell Laptop (Win XP Pro)

    ( - = cable, ~ = wireless )

    No hardwired computers. Only wireless.

    Want to access Mac's FTP server (set up in Sharing Preferences) from the PC
    laptop.

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <0001HW.BDAFA6270044F7CEF04075B0@news.individual.net>,
    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:08:59 -0800, Bob Harris wrote
    > (in article <harris-003644.12085804112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>):
    >
    > > The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet via
    > > your ISP. It also generally means that the devices on the LAN side of
    > > the router are using non-routing IP addresses.
    >
    > DSL "modem"---AirPort AP~~~~Mac PowerBook (Mac OS X)
    > |
    > ~~~~Dell Laptop (Win XP Pro)
    >
    > ( - = cable, ~ = wireless )
    >
    > No hardwired computers. Only wireless.
    >
    > Want to access Mac's FTP server (set up in Sharing Preferences) from the PC
    > laptop.

    You should just be able to plug in the internal IP Address of the Mac
    (10.10.?.?) into your PC FTP client.

    Steve
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    :WLAN consists of 2 laptops: 1 Mac, 1 Dell (WIn XP Pro) served by AirPort
    :(snow) AP. Mac has FTP mode where others can log in.

    :Is access between computers possible via the AP? Or must I enable the
    :"peer-to-peer" mode in the wireless configurations for each computer?

    You definitely don't need peer to peer for your purposes. You
    probably don't want (in a technical sense) to use peer-to-peer
    for what you are doing.
    --
    IEA408I: GETMAIN cannot provide buffer for WATLIB.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:17:12 -0800, Walter Roberson wrote
    (in article <cmdrn8$7ja$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>):

    > You definitely don't need peer to peer for your purposes. You
    > probably don't want (in a technical sense) to use peer-to-peer
    > for what you are doing.

    Yes, that is what I wanted to know.

    Thanks to all for the good advice.

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:08:59 -0800, Bob Harris wrote
    > (in article <harris-003644.12085804112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>):
    >
    > > The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet via
    > > your ISP. It also generally means that the devices on the LAN side of
    > > the router are using non-routing IP addresses.
    >
    > DSL "modem"---AirPort AP~~~~Mac PowerBook (Mac OS X)
    > |
    > ~~~~Dell Laptop (Win XP Pro)
    >
    > ( - = cable, ~ = wireless )
    >
    > No hardwired computers. Only wireless.
    >
    > Want to access Mac's FTP server (set up in Sharing Preferences) from the PC
    > laptop.

    By default the Airport base station uses 10.0.1.* addresses. It should
    have assigned something like 10.0.1.2 and 10.0.1.3 to your Mac and Dell
    laptops.

    Look in the Mac OS X Network System Preferences, Airport, TCP/IP tab to
    get the IP address assigned to the Mac.

    On the PC side, use that address as the host name. You use your
    username and password as the ftp login, or if you have more than one
    account on your Mac, you can use one of them.

    If you want anonymous ftp, then you need to do research on that. I went
    though several books in the book store, and some google searches to
    figure out how to do anonymous ftp. I ended up installing Pure-FTP, but
    there are other options. "Mac OS X Unleashed" is one of the books I
    remember looking at to figure out how to setup anonymous ftp. But in my
    case it was for a work Mac that I wanted to setup to share files with
    others inside of work. At home logging into a user account is more than
    good enough.

    You do know you can also enable Windows sharing in the Sharing System
    Preferences, and setup an SMB server (Samba) for the Dell system to
    connect to.

    Bob Harris
  7. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:08:59 -0800, Bob Harris wrote
    > (in article <harris-003644.12085804112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>):
    >
    > > The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet via
    > > your ISP. It also generally means that the devices on the LAN side of
    > > the router are using non-routing IP addresses.
    >
    > DSL "modem"---AirPort AP~~~~Mac PowerBook (Mac OS X)
    > |
    > ~~~~Dell Laptop (Win XP Pro)
    >
    > ( - = cable, ~ = wireless )
    >
    > No hardwired computers. Only wireless.
    >
    > Want to access Mac's FTP server (set up in Sharing Preferences) from the PC
    > laptop.

    I forgot to mention, Mac OS X can also connect to Shares you setup on
    the Dell, you can browse the SMB servers on the network, or you can
    explicitly connect to a server using

    Finder -> Go menu -> Connect to Server...
    smb://nn.nn.nn.nn/username

    Bob Harris
  8. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:08:59 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

    >The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet

    Er, no, thats the WAN port, without the ell in there....

    --
    Mark McIntyre

  9. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

    > If you want anonymous ftp, then you need to do research on that. I went
    > though several books in the book store, and some google searches to
    > figure out how to do anonymous ftp. I ended up installing Pure-FTP, but
    > there are other options. "Mac OS X Unleashed" is one of the books I
    > remember looking at to figure out how to setup anonymous ftp. But in my
    > case it was for a work Mac that I wanted to setup to share files with
    > others inside of work. At home logging into a user account is more than
    > good enough.

    In my (very limited) experiments, I found that OS X's built-in FTP
    server didn't work with passive FTP. I had to disable passive in the GUI
    clients I tried (Transmit and Interarchy) before a directory listing
    from the server Mac would show up on the client. Perhaps a glitch in the
    OS X firewall?

    The OP is probably be better off using the built-in AFP and SMB file
    sharing, as they are more secure than OS X's built-in FTP server. This
    has been discussed in recent threads in comp.sys.mac.system.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <mgclo0huo48arhvsvjlajqdpj5n7rjhlos@4ax.com>,
    Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:08:59 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    > <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet
    >
    > Er, no, thats the WAN port, without the ell in there....

    I've seen both WLAN and WAN for the port that is suppose to talk to the
    internet. I think it was on a D-Link that I last saw WLAN, but that was
    also my first Cable/DSL router, so that might explain whey it sticks.

    Also the Original Post used the term WLAN, so with that reinforcement, I
    just went happily on my way using the term WLAN in my replies.

    But you are correct, Apple's Airport Admin Utility uses the notation
    WAN. I'll try to do better next time :-)

    Bob Harris
  11. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <harris-799CDF.20080904112004@cacnews.cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

    > In article <mgclo0huo48arhvsvjlajqdpj5n7rjhlos@4ax.com>,
    > Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:08:59 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    > > <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet
    > >
    > > Er, no, thats the WAN port, without the ell in there....
    >
    > I've seen both WLAN and WAN for the port that is suppose to talk to the
    > internet. I think it was on a D-Link that I last saw WLAN, but that was
    > also my first Cable/DSL router, so that might explain whey it sticks.

    Before the advent of wireless networking, I suppose they might have used
    WLAN for this. The ISP port of a broadband router is normally connected
    to an Ethernet segment that connects to the cable/DSL modem, so in that
    sense it's a LAN, and they might have used the notation WLAN to mean
    Wide-area LAN.

    > Also the Original Post used the term WLAN, so with that reinforcement, I
    > just went happily on my way using the term WLAN in my replies.

    But he also mentioned AP, the abbreviation for Access Point, which is a
    wireless term. That reinforces the idea that he's referring to a
    Wireless LAN, which is what WLAN usually means these days.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:51:48 -0500,
    Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu) wrote:
    >> I've seen both WLAN and WAN for the port that is suppose to talk to the
    >> internet. I think it was on a D-Link that I last saw WLAN, but that was
    >> also my first Cable/DSL router, so that might explain whey it sticks.
    >
    > Before the advent of wireless networking, I suppose they might have used
    > WLAN for this. The ISP port of a broadband router is normally connected
    > to an Ethernet segment that connects to the cable/DSL modem, so in that
    > sense it's a LAN, and they might have used the notation WLAN to mean
    > Wide-area LAN.

    If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.

    Beverly
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <slrncom23c.9e3.bevakupf@myhome.net>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:51:48 -0500,
    > Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu) wrote:
    > >> I've seen both WLAN and WAN for the port that is suppose to talk to the
    > >> internet. I think it was on a D-Link that I last saw WLAN, but that was
    > >> also my first Cable/DSL router, so that might explain whey it sticks.
    > >
    > > Before the advent of wireless networking, I suppose they might have used
    > > WLAN for this. The ISP port of a broadband router is normally connected
    > > to an Ethernet segment that connects to the cable/DSL modem, so in that
    > > sense it's a LAN, and they might have used the notation WLAN to mean
    > > Wide-area LAN.
    >
    > If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    > contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.
    >
    > Beverly

    It's the LAN that connects to the WAN.

    I'm not saying that they did -- I didn't use any of the early broadband
    routers, and I'm just taking the previous poster's word that he saw this
    label on the ISP port of some routers.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    > If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    > contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.
    >
    > Beverly

    Not wide-area local-area network. Wireless local-area network.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <cmf907$mrm$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com>,
    John Jacob <john@sasken.com> wrote:

    > Bev A. Kupf wrote:
    >
    > > If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    > > contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.
    > >
    > > Beverly
    >
    > Not wide-area local-area network. Wireless local-area network.

    Have you been reading the thread? There was an earlier poster who
    claimed to have seen routers that had the ISP port labeled "WLAN",
    rather than "WAN" as is now common. We're trying to figure out why they
    did that. As I said in my previous post, I'm guessing it predated
    wireless LANs and the current use of that abbreviation.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:09:59 +0100,
    John Jacob (john@sasken.com) wrote:
    > Bev A. Kupf wrote:
    >
    >> If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    >> contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.
    >>
    >> Beverly
    >
    > Not wide-area local-area network. Wireless local-area network.

    Thank you for following the thread.

    Beverly
  17. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <barmar-A8FC0C.03250005112004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
    Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

    > In article <cmf907$mrm$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com>,
    > John Jacob <john@sasken.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Bev A. Kupf wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you say so, I'm sure they did. It does seem like a curious
    > > > contradiction of terms though - a wide-area local-area network.
    > > >
    > > > Beverly
    > >
    > > Not wide-area local-area network. Wireless local-area network.
    >
    > Have you been reading the thread? There was an earlier poster who
    > claimed to have seen routers that had the ISP port labeled "WLAN",
    > rather than "WAN" as is now common. We're trying to figure out why they
    > did that. As I said in my previous post, I'm guessing it predated
    > wireless LANs and the current use of that abbreviation.

    No, actually, "I" said it. Me! Me Me Me. But you can't trust my
    memory, it goes back to punched papertape, and there may be a few stuck
    chads :-)

    Bob Harris
  18. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:08:00 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

    >In article <mgclo0huo48arhvsvjlajqdpj5n7rjhlos@4ax.com>,
    > Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:08:59 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    >> <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The WLAN generally means the port that is connected to the internet
    >>
    >> Er, no, thats the WAN port, without the ell in there....
    >
    >I've seen both WLAN and WAN for the port that is suppose to talk to the
    >internet. I think it was on a D-Link that I last saw WLAN, but that was
    >also my first Cable/DSL router, so that might explain whey it sticks.

    Trust b*oody dlink to use the wrong acronyms... :-)

    --
    Mark McIntyre

  19. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:18:35 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

    >In article <barmar-A8FC0C.03250005112004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
    > Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> Have you been reading the thread? There was an earlier poster who
    >> claimed to have seen routers that had the ISP port labeled "WLAN",
    >
    >No, actually, "I" said it. Me! Me Me Me. But you can't trust my
    >memory, it goes back to punched papertape, and there may be a few stuck
    >chads :-)

    You should go electronic. Then you could program yourself to always give a
    slight bias to the right, and avoid such distressing incidents....

    --
    Mark McIntyre

  20. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

    In article <imtno01num4us748gvdqfsov2vg4g7bl18@4ax.com>,
    Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:18:35 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Bob Harris
    > <harris@zk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <barmar-A8FC0C.03250005112004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
    > > Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you been reading the thread? There was an earlier poster who
    > >> claimed to have seen routers that had the ISP port labeled "WLAN",
    > >
    > >No, actually, "I" said it. Me! Me Me Me. But you can't trust my
    > >memory, it goes back to punched papertape, and there may be a few stuck
    > >chads :-)
    >
    > You should go electronic. Then you could program yourself to always give a
    > slight bias to the right, and avoid such distressing incidents....

    The upgrade was to punched cards (80 and 96 column). There was some
    flirting with 7-track 1/2 inch Magtape, but that didn't stick :-)

    Bob Harris

Computers WLAN Macintosh Wireless Networking