need to replace A7N8X board, help

dtushing

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
Hi, I have an ASUS a7N8X-Deluxe with Athlon XP 2k, 2 sticks=1gig ram and an ATI 9700 graphics card. I have been having serious problems with the system recently. Any hard disk I put it, at first has trouble even being detected, then eventually on successive reboot, the heads start knocking and they fail. I'm starting to think it's a bad controller on the m/board now.

Anyway what's the upgrade path from here ?

I don't have much cash so I really was thinking to replace the motherboard and hard drive for now, maybe a new processor if it's cheap and worth it ?

Any advice would be great. I haven't really kept up with the new stuff out there !

Thanks !

Darren

pat

Expert
Lower cost Sempron 754 mobo and CPU shoud team up with your current video card without breaking your budget too much. Your memory can even be reused. Such motherboard/cpu combo can be bought for as low as 125$ can, which is about 100$ US.

Then, this system can easily be sold for something more powerful when more cash would be available.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!