Hello

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find a
solution. I'm trying to activate the console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+~
during a game, but nothing happens. I'm running Doom on a PC, with
windows XP and I'm in the UK. Can anyone offer any advice how to
input cheats?

Ta

Foamie

"foamcleanser" <foamcleanser@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find a
> solution. I'm trying to activate the console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+~
> during a game, but nothing happens. I'm running Doom on a PC, with
> windows XP and I'm in the UK. Can anyone offer any advice how to
> input cheats?
>
> Ta
>
> Foamie

In your doom3 main folder, create a text file (notepad), name it
autoexec.cfg and put this line in it:
seta com_allowConsole "1"

Now when you run the game, just hit the key right below ESC and the
console will open.

McG.

+Thank You McGrandpa. You've made an oldish man very happy!

Incidentally, thanks to your advice I've discovered that I needed to
press ctrl+alt+the key below the escape key. The tilde key on my
keyboard (UK) is above the shift key on the right hand side of the key
board, which is perhaps why the ctrl+alt+~ didn't work.

Once again, thanks!

Foamie

"foamie" <foamcleanser@aol.com> wrote in message
> +Thank You McGrandpa. You've made an oldish man very happy!
>
> Incidentally, thanks to your advice I've discovered that I needed to
> press ctrl+alt+the key below the escape key. The tilde key on my
> keyboard (UK) is above the shift key on the right hand side of the key
> board, which is perhaps why the ctrl+alt+~ didn't work.
>
> Once again, thanks!
>
> Foamie

No prob! Glad it worked :) btw: over the years in these game ng's,
I'd found that usually at least half the folks are in the UK. A UK
keyboard is a little different than a US keyboard. In Quake1, 2 and 3,
we all found that the right key is the one right under the ESC key, no
matter what's printed on it! :) So telling someone which key it is
this way works for a lot more people.
Enjoy the game! I'm a little over halfway through it myself. I'm
enjoying it immensely a little bit at a time.
McG.

McGrandpa wasted my time on 2/23/2005 5:50 PM with the following:
> "foamie" <foamcleanser@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>+Thank You McGrandpa. You've made an oldish man very happy!
>>
>>Incidentally, thanks to your advice I've discovered that I needed to
>>press ctrl+alt+the key below the escape key. The tilde key on my
>>keyboard (UK) is above the shift key on the right hand side of the key
>>board, which is perhaps why the ctrl+alt+~ didn't work.
>>
>>Once again, thanks!
>>
>>Foamie
>

> No prob! Glad it worked :) btw: over the years in these game ng's,
> I'd found that usually at least half the folks are in the UK. A UK
> keyboard is a little different than a US keyboard. In Quake1, 2 and 3,
> we all found that the right key is the one right under the ESC key, no
> matter what's printed on it! :) So telling someone which key it is
> this way works for a lot more people.
> Enjoy the game! I'm a little over halfway through it myself. I'm
> enjoying it immensely a little bit at a time.
> McG.

If I recall correctly, it's CTRL+ALT+` for a UK keyboard.

It *is* a real pain in the butt for foreign keyboards to access the
game's console.
--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

"SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wasted my time on 2/23/2005 5:50 PM with the following:
>> "foamie" <foamcleanser@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> +Thank You McGrandpa. You've made an oldish man very happy!
>>>
>>> Incidentally, thanks to your advice I've discovered that I needed to
>>> press ctrl+alt+the key below the escape key. The tilde key on my
>>> keyboard (UK) is above the shift key on the right hand side of the
>>> key board, which is perhaps why the ctrl+alt+~ didn't work.
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks!
>>>
>>> Foamie
>>

>> No prob! Glad it worked :) btw: over the years in these game ng's,
>> I'd found that usually at least half the folks are in the UK. A UK
>> keyboard is a little different than a US keyboard. In Quake1, 2
>> and 3, we all found that the right key is the one right under the
>> ESC key, no matter what's printed on it! :) So telling someone
>> which key it is this way works for a lot more people.
>> Enjoy the game! I'm a little over halfway through it myself. I'm
>> enjoying it immensely a little bit at a time.
>> McG.
>>

> If I recall correctly, it's CTRL+ALT+` for a UK keyboard.
>
> It *is* a real pain in the butt for foreign keyboards to access the
> game's console.

well, really all you have to do is make a bind in the autoexec.cfg for
it, then you use just that one key to open the console :)