Well I guess things have changed a bit?c

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
My first computer I built was about 3 years ago and am still using it and am now going to build a new one. My current system has a AMD 2100+ XP, MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard, and a MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600 video card.

I went with both a motherboard and video card made by the same company at that time because I was not sure about compatibility problems that could come up. Using the same brand has probably lead to the reason that I have never had any problems with it, that or just beginners luck.

I am now looking at building a new system and have to figure out what motherboard to go with. Now while I have had success with MSI it seems that a lot of people have had major issues with their recent products.

So considering I am going with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor I need to figure out what motherboard to pick up. I need go with a good Socket 939 board that is affordable but gives a little room to grow.

Now other then the fact of making sure the graphics card has the right kind slot do I need to take into account the type of graphics card I want to use now this time around?

I have noticed Dual Channel supported on almost all boards and was actually wondering what does it mean? Do I have to put in two sticks for DDR now or can just one still run the system? Picking up say a Gig stick of DDR and then a few months later picking up another one is a lot easier then throwing in a couple of 512MB sticks due to budget and being stuck with it.

I wouldn?ft mind getting the same brand for both motherboard and graphics card this time around. But who knows if that is going to work out. Anyways any bits and pieces of knowledge that can be passed on as well as suggestions for a motherboard are appreciated thanks.

dual channel speeds up your system quite a bit. Requires 2 sticks. They sell bundled RAM for dual channel or you can buy two sticks of the same brand and size.

Thing with dual channel is that they need to be the same size and the same brand name.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Ok did some more reading and got a better understanding of dual channel support now, thanks for the help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gq29 on 10/14/05 09:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Ok now I just want some suggestions on socket 939 boards.

I would like to pick up a motherboard and video card from the same manufacturer if possible. I am getting an AMD Athlon 3500 Venice and plan on picking up either a GeForce 6800GT or a Radeon 800XL depending on my budget.

Now what are my options considering all of the above?

endyen

Splendid
Of the three wusy suggested (and I agree with all three) only Abit has generally available gfx cards. They are an Ati only shop right now because of a tiff with nvidia.
To be honest though, there is no advantage getting mobo and gfx from the same maker. There is generally one disadvantage. The abit xl card will be much more expensive than a saphire card. They are about the same quality, if you pick the right one. Saphire does sell some crap.
If I was willing to get a better quality card, for a little more money, I would look at the HIS line.
Please do not take my word on gfx though. The guys in the video card forum are much more knowledgeable than I am in that area.

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will make another post with what I have come up with for choices just to keep it shorter for those who will read it for the first time.

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Well I have given up on just looking at the customer reviews at newegg to make a choice, as it seems almost every brand out there someone has had a nightmare with. Those that don?ft have much bad things said have so few reviews I can?ft really go off of that.

It also seems many people have strong points of views here over which brand name is the best. So I figured I would have to just compare boards instead of brand names.

Now only upgrade I did to my current system I have had for about 3 years was to buy a soundcard so more then likely major room to grow will not be needed as I will just build a new one when the time and money work out in a couple of years. I will be using the new system for gamming mostly and plan on getting either a 6800GT or x800XL (depending on my budget) with an AMD Athlon 3500 Venice CPU.

Considering my budget I have come up with 4 boards to compare. I left out such details as memory, FBS and so on as they are all the same. I need a knowledgeable view of the following boards based what they have if I can for now to help me to narrow down my choices. If anyone has had experience with these boards any input would be nice thanks.

ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Athlon X2
Supported CUP Tech: Dual Core
Chipset: NIVADA nForce 4 Ultra
PIC Express X16: 1
PIC Express X1: 2
PIC slots: 3
PATA: 2 x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
SATA: 4 x SATA II
SATA RAID: RAID 0/1/0+1
Audio Chipset: AC97 Codec
Audio Channels: 8 Channels
LAN Chipset: NV GbE LAN
PS/2: 2
COM: 1
USB: 4 x USB 2.0
Audio ports: 6 jacks
Onboard USB connectors: 6x USB 2.0 (3x headers)

DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron
Chipset: NIVADA nForce 4 Ultra
PIC Express X1: 2
PATA RAID: RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA: 4 x SATA II
SATA RAID: RAID 0/1
Audio Chipset: AC97 Codec
LAN Chipset: Vitesse VSC8201
LPT: 1
IEEE 1394: 1x 1394
S/PDIF Out: 1x Coaxial
S/PDIF In: 1x Coaxial
Audio ports: 3 jacks
Onboard 1394 connectors: 1x 1394a

EPoX EP-9NPAJ Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
Chipset: NIVADA nForce 4-4X
PIC Express X1: 3
SATA: 4 x SATA 150
Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC850
LAN Chipset: VIT8201 Gigabit Ethernet
S/PDIF Out: 1x Optical and 1x Coaxial
Audio ports: 6 jacks
Features: Support KBPO (Keyboard Power ON) function
Support Wake-On-LAN by PME
Onboard Post-Port LED display
Support CPU Over Heat protect
Support CPU, Chassis and Power FAN speed control

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
Supported CUP Tech: Dual Core
Chipset: NIVADA nForce 4-4x
PIC Express X1: 1
Other slots: 1x PCI Express X4, 1x PIC for communication
PATA RAID: NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA: 4 x SATA 150
SATA RAID: NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC850
LAN Chipset: Marvell 88E1111 PHY
S/PDIF Out: 1x Optical and 1x Coaxial
Audio ports: 5 jacks
Features: The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.

G

I have a system with memory made by two different companies that runs just fine in dual channel mode. I think just getting decent RAM of the correct speed is most important for ensuring reliable dual channel operation. I'm tpoo lazy to look in there but I know one is a stick of some Kingston and I think the other on is called Patriot(?).

wileycoyote

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2005
I have built at least 4 machines for customers with the K8N NEO4-F. Zero mobo problems to date. I have found it to be a great little board for the price. We have also used its big brother, K8N NEO4 Platinium, for several other machines with zero issues to report. As such, I would recommend the NEO4-F based on personal experience. Still, I wouldnt have any quam about getting the DFI or EPOX either.

I too have read a lot of the user comments for the various boards out there and there is indeed a nightmare story to go with every single one. However, I would lay money on the fact that at least 90% of the "bad experience" posts I have read on newegg or actually the result of user error. Still, it is always possible to get a lemon and it is also true that some boards are more known for problems. Unfortunately, its hard to get reliable statistics on how many defects come from a particular manufacter. To really tell if a board has a particular problem history, I look for repeated reports of specific problems.

Then there is also the issue of being user-friendly. I have personally enjoyed the thoroughness and readability of MSI manuals and test reports. Asus has also been nice in this regard. I have never used a DFI but the basic "aura" around them appears to be that they are master overclockers when setup right, but are in turn very difficult to set up right and have poor documentation.

You have to decide whats more important to you I guess.

good luck!

wileycoyote

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2005
Wusy,

Can you point me in the direction of some actual statistics on failure rate of different vendor motherboards? Or how about customer service ratings? It would certainly be nice to take a look at. As I stated before, user reviews can be so subjective that I find myself taking all of them with a healthy dose of salt.

Also, if you do not care for MSI or ASUS then what vendor do you feel offers the best overall value?

thanks

RichPLS

Champion
There is no need to buy a video card brand based on the motherboard manufacturer.
They are all compatible, and besides, your cards chipset will be ATI or nVidia, the manufacturer just assembles them on the graphic board.
I have preferred getting built by ATI boards due to the 3 year warranty, also, no worry about BIOS or software updates by third party being delayed till third party can re-compile them with their logos.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
DFI infinity has had an increasing amount of issues regarding memory (i think mostly people trying to use average ram...). I'd look in to that if i were you, if you're considering going that way.

If you're looking for a simple to setup board your best options are going to start out with DFI, DFI is a specialized board with more options that have to be tweaked then any other mobo available today.

So for average Joe computer guy...DFI isn't the way to go...even though it is an awesome board...

If i were making a rating system on usability and stability...(=P Wusy)
1) Gigabyte, Asus, Abit, Epox
5) MSI,DFI
7) Soltek, Jetway, ECS

In terms of oc'n:
1)DFI nf4 UT and Lanboy series (UT expert remains to be seen)
2)EPoX nf4 series; Asus nf4 premium (a8n deluxe sucks...a8n32 deluxe remains to be seen)
4)MSI nf4 (hit or miss...); Jetway/ECS nf4 (hit or miss)

...Also for what it's worth, if you can go with Dual channel over single...you'd be taking away a good deal of performance from your system by going with a single channel system.

F@H:
AMD: [X2 3800+ down][64 3000+ down][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x4][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 10/19/05 02:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Pretty much every manufacturer has had some trouble with the TCCD stuff...It's like if there's any adnormalities with the power it just won't work...even when it'll work with the same psu in a different board at high fsb. I've had my share of troubles...But not with DFI...that's one brand i haven't had the pleasure of trying yet...I may decide to pick one up...sometimes it's nice not to have a gf...i have money...=-)...

<cries...pauses...buys some more ram online...feels better>

F@H:
AMD: [X2 3800+ down][64 3000+ down][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x4][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Well I was thinking more and more of using the DLF board but the thing with memory is a hang up. I plain to use either Crucial, Kingston, or OCZ for my system memory in order of preference. I want to use the Dual channel technology that is has come along since I built my last system.

The thing is if I spend almost the same or more for memory then I do for the board and the board fries my memory that would not be cool.

Based on responses I had narrowed down my choices to the DLF board and the MSI board I listed. The Abit board was not recommended due to problems with it and Epox board no one really backed at all so I dropped those.

While I have had good experience with MSI many people did not, but at least one person has built some systems with the MSI board I was looking at and had no problems.

I have no experience with DLF but so many people have recommended the brand it was persuasive, however no one has used the board so no positive or negative about the board itself. Now there is the deal with memory issues?c

Does anyone out there have experience with the DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard?

Is there a big difference between the NIVADA nForce 4-4x and NIVADA nForce 4 Ultra chipsets?

Might as well classify me as a noob considering I have only built one system about 3 years ago and I have never even flashed the bios for it.

Heck I am starting to think maybe I should just flip a coin sometimes on these things.

Gq29

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Well after doing more and more reading on these two boards I have come up with a final choice. I am going to go for it and use the DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard.

While it will be something I have no experience with, which makes be a bit nervous, I will just have to figure it out. If I take the time and read everything I can I figure that it should not be that big of a battle.

Now I have to figure out what power supply to go with and case, but that is for another part of the forums.

With that in mind I would like to thank everyone who replied to this post and if anyone has the time and knowledge to spare check out my next post in the power supply section. Thanks again guys for all the help and input.

TRENDING THREADS