Purchasing Suggestions Please

Hello Everyone,
I am new to these message boards as well as this website and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me decide on some hardware that I have been looking at. First I must start off by saying that I work in the field of architecture and work with 3DS Max a lot to do 3D renderings of my projects. I also work in the multimedia field and do a lot of editing with programs like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator as well as video editing with Premiere and Encore. I aslo design web pages with Dreamweaver and Flash. I am looking to upgrade my personal system to better handle the newer software.

I typically run AutoCAD and 3DS Max simultaniously on dual monitors. I was considering upgrading to one of the new Intel Pentium D processors because of the benchmark results that I have seen for the 3DS Max rendering abilities. I also believe that this might be the new direction for a lot of other software in my field.

Unfortunately the one problem that has kept me from upgrading so far is that less than 6 months ago I bought an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600 XT that runs off of AGP. That is the slot that my current motherboard had and I didn't want to upgrade everything at once. I have been looking for quite some time but it seems like all the new Intel boards that are coming out for the Pentium D are running PCI Express. I understand that this is the new way but I just spent money on this video card and would like to keep it running. I am very happy with the performance of the video and am not too crazy about changing it.

I am not stuck on buying an Intel processor but I have only used them in the past and am not sure if I wanted to switch to an AMD processor only because they don't seem to make their own motherboards. I just heard on this website of something that allows you to insert an AGP card into a PCI Express slot but it sounds like it is only working for limited nVidia cards. I am not even sure how this would effect the performance of the graphics card.

In the end what I am looking for is advice on how I should be spending my money. I am not looking to spend too much but I am also not willing to cheap out and buy something that won't last me some time. If anyone has any advice on where I can get something for my current needs or has suggestions of using AMD X2 or a different motherboard for the Intel Pentium D or even if they think that I should just go with a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition or a dual processor motherboard as well then I would greatly appriciate the advice.

Don't hesitate to reply or send me an email at superflybribri@yahoo.com. Any information or suggestions would be of great help to me.

Thank you,
Brian
2 answers Last reply
More about purchasing suggestions please
  1. I currently have a system that was custom built and I have been changing the components on a rotation bases. So far what is left of the original system is the motherboard with an Intel Pentium III Processor and 768 MB of SDRAM. I have changed the drives to three 120 GB Western Digital Hard Drives and a Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner. I also changed the monitor and upgraded to a Dell 20" Widescreen Flat Panel and changed the video card to the ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600 XT. Now as you can see I when I bought the graphics card I still had an old motherboard which in return forced me to purchase an AGP card. I didn't want to upgrade every component at once so I have been slowly making my trip around and it seems now that I have hit a wall with this old/new hardware configuration. I am looking to spend in the ballpark of $750 for a motherboard, processor, and RAM. I am looking for any advice that might help me in this situation.
  2. Hey,
    I was just looking at that motherboards that I found from a link, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...080#DetailSpecs , to but I never know how to trust what is a good motherboard. I would love to just get an Intel motherboard or something that I know will be reliable. I mean I am not someone who likes to spend money for no reason but a motherboard that is only $60 kind of worries me. I want something that I can rely on. I know that AMD has said that its new X2 processors work on Socket 939 boards but does that mean that I can buy any Socket 939 board? My roommate has one that has an AGP slot that he has never had problems with and I am wondering if I can get that same board and use it with my current graphics card and the new X2 chip. The other thing that I was looking up was the All-in-Wonder cards that ATI makes being that is what I wanted to get and bought. While doing this I realized that six of the All-in-Wonder cards that they make are for AGP while only two of them are for PCI Express. I don't know if this is just because PCI Express is new but the new All-In-Wonder 2006 Edition is also made for AGP. I am wondering also if Intel is planning on coming out with AGP motherboards for the dual core chips in the future or they are just going to say forget it altogether?
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Shops Product