Newbie Question

I just got a new system and I wanted to try to see how my video card is
holding up. How can I check the FPS. Thanks in advance.

Robin

Robin O'Connor wasted my time on 2/26/2005 1:13 AM with the following:
> I just got a new system and I wanted to try to see how my video card is
> holding up. How can I check the FPS. Thanks in advance.
>
> Robin

Bring down the console (CTRL+ALT+~ on US keyboards, CTRL+ALT+` on non-US
keyboards I believe) and type:

com_showfps 1

To enable FPS in the upper-right corner.

Type:

com_showfps 0

to disable it again.

--
-SnoopJeDi

SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> typed as if devouring a
plate of spoo:
> Robin O'Connor wasted my time on 2/26/2005 1:13 AM with the following:
>> I just got a new system and I wanted to try to see how my video card
>> is holding up. How can I check the FPS. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Robin
>>

> Bring down the console (CTRL+ALT+~ on US keyboards, CTRL+ALT+` on
> non-US keyboards I believe) and type:
>
> com_showfps 1
>
> To enable FPS in the upper-right corner.
>
> Type:
>
> com_showfps 0
>
> to disable it again.

Or a better way to benchmark your overall FPS, bring down the console, type
'timedemo demo1' and wait for it to play after which it'll give you the
results.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

EvilBill wasted my time on 2/26/2005 8:39 AM with the following:

> Or a better way to benchmark your overall FPS, bring down the console, type
> 'timedemo demo1' and wait for it to play after which it'll give you the
> results.

Actually this is a terrible way to benchmark your FPS. The system is
whacked as all hell.

Running timedemos gives me results in the 20s, but I hold a steady 40-50
in-game.

Only thing timedemo is really good for is to compare before-after
performance without playing (or at least that's my opinion)

--
-SnoopJeDi

Thanks for all your help...I got the FPS to about 68FPS. Can someone please
let me in on what is the OPTIMUM setting for the NVDIA settings to get doom
to run at its best. Here are my specs for my machine.

3.2GHz P4 LGA 775
2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe MOBO
MSI 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express
Windows XP Home installed on a 74GB WD Raptor

Thanks for all your help.

Robin

"SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> EvilBill wasted my time on 2/26/2005 8:39 AM with the following:
>>
>> Or a better way to benchmark your overall FPS, bring down the console,
>> type 'timedemo demo1' and wait for it to play after which it'll give you
>> the results.
>>

> Actually this is a terrible way to benchmark your FPS. The system is
> whacked as all hell.
>
> Running timedemos gives me results in the 20s, but I hold a steady 40-50
> in-game.
>
> Only thing timedemo is really good for is to compare before-after
> performance without playing (or at least that's my opinion)
>
> --
> -SnoopJeDi

Robin O'Connor wasted my time on 2/26/2005 6:04 PM with the following:
> Thanks for all your help...I got the FPS to about 68FPS. Can someone please
> let me in on what is the OPTIMUM setting for the NVDIA settings to get doom
> to run at its best. Here are my specs for my machine.
>
> 3.2GHz P4 LGA 775
> 2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
> ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe MOBO
> MSI 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express
> Windows XP Home installed on a 74GB WD Raptor
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Robin
>

> "SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>EvilBill wasted my time on 2/26/2005 8:39 AM with the following:
>>
>>>Or a better way to benchmark your overall FPS, bring down the console,
>>>type 'timedemo demo1' and wait for it to play after which it'll give you
>>>the results.
>>>

>>Actually this is a terrible way to benchmark your FPS. The system is
>>whacked as all hell.
>>
>>Running timedemos gives me results in the 20s, but I hold a steady 40-50
>>in-game.
>>
>>Only thing timedemo is really good for is to compare before-after
>>performance without playing (or at least that's my opinion)
>>
>>--
>>-SnoopJeDi

PCI Express?

Try ultra settings with everything on. lol

--
-SnoopJeDi

> Robin O'Connor wasted my time on 2/26/2005 6:04 PM with the following:
>> Thanks for all your help...I got the FPS to about 68FPS. Can
>> someone please let me in on what is the OPTIMUM setting for the
>> NVDIA settings to get doom to run at its best. Here are my specs
>> for my machine. 3.2GHz P4 LGA 775
>> 2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
>> ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe MOBO
>> MSI 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express
>> Windows XP Home installed on a 74GB WD Raptor
>>
>> Thanks for all your help.
>>
>> Robin
>>

>> "SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> EvilBill wasted my time on 2/26/2005 8:39 AM with the following:

>>> Actually this is a terrible way to benchmark your FPS. The system
>>> is whacked as all hell.
>>>
>>> Running timedemos gives me results in the 20s, but I hold a steady
>>> 40-50 in-game.
>>>
>>> Only thing timedemo is really good for is to compare before-after
>>> performance without playing (or at least that's my opinion)
>>>
>>> --
>>> -SnoopJeDi
>>

> PCI Express?
>
> Try ultra settings with everything on. lol

and he will get about as good or a little better fr's as my FX5900 did.
Or Radeon 9800 Pro. He DID say 6600, not 6800. Which ain't so bad
really, for 8 pixel pipes and 128 megs.
McG.

SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> typed as if devouring a
plate of spoo:
> EvilBill wasted my time on 2/26/2005 8:39 AM with the following:
>>
>> Or a better way to benchmark your overall FPS, bring down the
>> console, type 'timedemo demo1' and wait for it to play after which
>> it'll give you the results.
>>

> Actually this is a terrible way to benchmark your FPS. The system is
> whacked as all hell.
>
> Running timedemos gives me results in the 20s, but I hold a steady
> 40-50 in-game.
>
> Only thing timedemo is really good for is to compare before-after
> performance without playing (or at least that's my opinion)

Hmmm... yeah, I noticed the timedemos in Doom3 seem to be a bit screwy,
actually. It ran a lot slower than the game itself actually does. Whereas in
Q3, I get a nice 125 FPS in both the timedemo and the game. <g>
Admittedly, I have capped my FPS at 125... LOL