Wep vs WPA: Linksys WRT54GS

WPA vs WEP....which is better and why? What settings do you recommend for
WPA? Currently using WEP 128 bit.

Please advise.
3 answers Last reply
More about linksys wrt54gs

    I have a wrt54g and have ran in both modes. I really didnt see a big
    difference in speed loss. WPA si more secure due to the fact that the wep
    key can be cracked fairly easier with programs available on the web.

    "Buck Naked" <mike.howe (nospam)@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > WPA vs WEP....which is better and why? What settings do you recommend for
    > WPA? Currently using WEP 128 bit.
    >
    > Please advise.

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:55:58 -0400, "Buck Naked" <mike.howe
    (nospam)@rogers.com> wrote:

    >WPA vs WEP....which is better and why? What settings do you recommend for
    >WPA? Currently using WEP 128 bit.
    >
    >Please advise.

    Not everyone here will agree with me but for a home network I would
    suggest that 128bit WEP is sufficient unless there is anything
    particularly critical stored on your system.

    Other than that WPA-PSK would seem to provide a more secure
    alternative and is generally pretty easy to implement. There is a
    slight increase in processing overheads which is likely to take
    1-3mbit/sec off your throughput (it varies from unit to unit) but,
    providing you use a long and jumbled key, it should very considerably
    increase security.

    I cannot offer any advice on how it is implemented using the unit to
    which you refer.
  3. Go with WPA. Here's a good comparison: WEP vs WPA

Wireless WEP Linksys Internet Wireless Networking