Sign in with
Your question

Dimension 8300 replacement

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2005 4:15:09 PM

First time poster, but have been reading these boards for years. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide..I'm currently looking to upgrade both my motherboard and my video card on my Dell Dimension 8300. Problem is, I've been out of the loop for some time and I'm not sure it's even possible. Preferably, I'd like to do the mobo, the vid card and the case, but only if its feasible. I'd hate to replace all of it if it will end up making little difference. It's a P4 2.6 , bus clock of 800mhz, 1gb ddr, and a 9800 pro. Problem is, its dell, so I believe its proprietary, but I was told that I could still upgrade as long as I did the case and the board as well. Any advice? I'd like to stay under 600 bucks or so for the vid card and the board, but again, I'm not sure thats feasible. I'm trying to make due with what I have because I honestly cannot afford a brand new pc, as much as I'd love to get my hands on one. Thanks!(mobo specs are listed below)

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0M2035
Serial Number: ..CN4811136Q07QU.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 04/28/2003

2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
October 23, 2005 4:41:54 PM

What will be the tasks/usage for the computer? What are all your system components? $600 budget? Why upgrade - where is it performing bad?

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>
October 23, 2005 4:59:40 PM

1. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Chaintech VNF4 Ultra</A> - $73
2. Mushkin 2x512MB PC3200 - $76.29
3. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Antec Sonata II w/450W PSU</A> - $99
4. <A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite..." target="_new">3DdFuzion 7800GT</A> for $289.
Grand total of $537.29 and that leaves room for the s/h. For a $59 dollars more I would go with a separate case and better PSU: <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/201t.html" target="_new">Superflower SF201T</A> and a <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Enermax EG565P</A>. That is still under budget ($596.29), but will go over after shipping.

<font color=blue>(\__/)
Related resources
October 23, 2005 5:06:56 PM

Well I typed out a pretty extensive reply, but to make things simple, I'm going to just copy and paste some of the specs from Belarc advisor to give you an idea of where my bottleneck might be. Hopefully this helps. and thanks again for what you've offered so far, friend.

Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8300
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0M2035
Serial Number: ..CN4811136Q07QU.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 04/28/2003

2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

200.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity (SATA)
83.56 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 0' has 512 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 0' has 512 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 1' is Empty
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 1' is Empty

RADEON 9800 PRO (Omega 2.6.71) [Display adapter]
RADEON 9800 PRO Secondary (Omega 2.6.71) [Display adapter]
ViewSonic E90f+ [Monitor] (17.7"vis, s/n 353030100190, January 2003)

Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External

My biggest concern is whether I can use my current cpu in whatever upgraded board and case I choose to go with...
October 23, 2005 5:46:13 PM

Just in case I wasnt clear, I'd prefer to use the RAM and CPU I already have, if thats feasible, just to save me some $$... I also have a 200gb SATA drive I'll be using as well.
October 23, 2005 8:18:55 PM

Honorable to want to save some money. I'm not as familiar with Intel products/systems so I will abstain from recommending a mobo, but whatever mobo you get will more than likely take AGP. Good price/perf on a vid card would be the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">eVGA 6800</A> which will unlock to 16 pipes with Rivatuner.

Run this <A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/s..." target="_new">CPU</A> ID tool from intel to get a better idea of the exact processor you have in the rig to help people recommend a mobo.

<font color=blue>(\__/)
October 23, 2005 9:09:02 PM

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
Version: 2.5.20050912
Time Stamp: 2005/10/23 21:08:08
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60C GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 2
Stepping: 9
Revision: 21
L1 Trace Cache: 12 KĀµops
L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
EIST: No
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: No
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: No
Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: No
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.60 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.60 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 23, 2005 9:26:31 PM

If you must use your old 2.6c, I would suggest my msi 6728 for around $50 at 3btech (listed under 865pe in pricewatch). It runs my 2.8c at 3500. But if you want a real upgrade for a gaming system, go with some of rugger's items except for the video card. The 6600gt in pci-e is more than adequate for most folks. That will leave you room for a 3500 venice socket 939. The antec sonata case with 450w should do fine with the lesser video card and keep you within your $600 budget.
October 23, 2005 10:03:08 PM

Are we talking OC'ing? Because if so, while I'm very IT savvy, I've never taken that step, so it would be new to me.
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2005 10:08:31 PM

If you're keeping the old CPU, you'd might as well keep the old board and case too. You're not going to see much performance difference with that CPU on any other board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 24, 2005 1:59:47 AM

Crashman's advice is better than mine. If your dell is running well, keep it intact until you have enough money to build a new one from scratch.
October 24, 2005 12:17:18 PM

Ok, well, that being the case, would someone be able to provide some assistance if I did NOT have to keep the same cpu? If its not too rough, I may be able to swing it, but I'd like to make sure the money is worth spending and I'll see a substantial difference. That, or I can build a really nice machine and just buy one part at a time per pay check.
October 24, 2005 1:22:53 PM

Look at what I posted above - that still applies. Use the DVD/CD and HDD from your current system. That or you could buy a DVDRW for $40 on the next paycheck.

<font color=blue>(='.'=) <font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>
(")_(")</font color=blue>
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 24, 2005 10:39:12 PM

Truth is, your Dell system is worth more intact. You can keep it, give it to another family member, or try selling it while it's still worth something. Some folks will pay more for a Dell nameplate than a superior homemade system. But your next system should definately be Amd.
October 25, 2005 3:41:59 AM

DELL!! I don't have no stinkin' Dell!!

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2005 11:04:09 PM

It looks like most of your parts have similar performance to each other, if you want a new PC you'd probably be better off selling the old one complete. Then you'd have enough money to finish the new one.

Those parts aren't really that old, are you certain you "need" an upgrade?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 26, 2005 1:52:39 AM

I have to agree with Crashman. (not just because he is always right either).
I suspect that your bottleneck is the crap that dell puts on your start menu.
Go to run, and type in msconfig, and hit enter. Then click on the tab that says startup. Decide what you absolutely have to have running in the background all the time, eating resources. Anything you dont need, uncheck, by clicking on it.
The only things I leave there are antivirus/spyware related.
BTW if you dont have an anti-spyware prog, get one and run it.
!