Fallout New Vegas Performance Issues

rebel conquest

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hey guys,

I've been browsing through a few game forums and was wondering if any of you guys had a solution to the choppy frame rates that people are getting with fallout new vegas. I haven't seen any solutions other than to update the display drivers and that didn't work.

Thanks in advance :)

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Are you sure you just dont have the settings to high? i don't have the game but it's on the same engine as fallout 3 so it shouldnt require to much more

rebel conquest

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
You would think that, but it's not the case. I frequent the Gamefaqs forums and there are many similar complaints. Apparently there is no issue with the radeon cards, but people with team green are having issues.

Link if you want to check for yourselves:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959559-fallout-new-vegas

I figured this would be the place to go for help since you guys are a lot more knowledgeable than people on a strictly gaming forum. Hopefully I don't have to wait for weeks for a pach :/

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
okay i know this may sound like a retarded question, but latest drivers? and what video card do you have, and other specs? just so i know

rebel conquest

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Yep, latest drivers. On those forums people with 480s were complaining about the same thing. The two big ones are turning quickly and running into npcs. Running into the npcs drops the fps into the teens. I think we are looking at a poorly coded game that needs an update quickly.

For reference
q9450
GTX 280
8 gigs ram
350 gig velociraptor
1tb wd caviar black for storage

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
i forget what but their was a forum about fallout 3 and a quad core was not working the greatest with it, i told him to do control alt delete, processes, set affinty or whatever to just 2 of the cores see that fixes it, i know its werid but this seriously helped some other guy, if i can find the link i'll post it

DecoySS3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
They fixed the issues that were popping up with Fallout 3, but this is an issue with bad coding. According to many of the forums this frame rate issue is being caused by the NPCs eating away at memory and the CPU. My system is a Quad-Core and to make sure I'm not crazy I just ran Fallout 3 and it runs great, but New Vegas is buggy and the FPS drops to a crawl at some points, especially when talking to one of the NPCs. This is something that will have to be fixed in a patch.

Specs

Intel 3.2Ghz Quad-core
3x SLI GTX285
4Gb Memory

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I thought it was my graphics drivers initially since I was a few versions old. After an update to 10.9 and installing the new application profiles, there was no noticeable change in performance. It stays at 60fps for most of the game, but entering a town or approaching certain areas/people, it will drop into the 50's or even 40's for a while before stabilizing.

System:
i7-920 (3.2GHz)
6GB RAM
ATi 5970

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
well 40's are still playable, yet i know that you have a 5970 theirs some serious optimzation problems i guess, give bethsda a couple of days i bet they have a ton of forums on their website complaing about this

rebel conquest

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Indeed people were creating quite the fuss over there, luckily there was also a solution posted. I figured you guys would be interested as well.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123822-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/

This is a huge improvement. NPCs no longer drop the framerates, and they are higher in general.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I think there is also crossfire issues, I get similar performance to sakanagai on my 2 5870s, usually round 60-70fps but with drop outs down to 40s and sometimes a bit lower.

Game is still completely playable but what I found was that only one of my gpus is ever utilized and even then only about 80%. Can anyone on cf or sli confirm this happens for them too?

DecoySS3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Rebel I'm going to try that fix out. Hopefully it works, cause my frames dropped to 15 when I got to an area with over a dozen NPCs.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
This is why i dont buy games on day 1. patch is coming soon from what i heard
still............
the problem is the game was not optimized at all for directx 11 cards, so in turn it runs terrible.

Follow this link

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778
Put it here:

\fallout new vegas

and restart fallout

You will see that the game wants to optimize your video settings again, just change it to what you want and that's it!!

The game now works like it should

G

Thanks! This worked "like a charm". Much appreciated!