Best Combo...

covert240

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2005
Okay. I am looking for the cheapest new technology. What does that mean? It means I want the slowest dual core 64bit rig out there, but be able to handle a high frequency memory and possibly have both 2 PCIx and 1 AGP slot (AGP not necc).

http://www.pricewatch.com/m-349.htm

My first thought is an AMD 64 x2 4200, but I cant find them capable of PC4000/4800 ram, and odly enough some have 3 PCI slots (why?).

Whats better for gaming? An AMD or Intel dual core.

1. AMD is better for gaming, but the better price/performance for gaming is in a single core CPU. Do you have a lot of other programs running while gaming? What makes you want DC?
2. PCIx is for workstations - you want PCIe.
3. Lowest DC AMD is the X2 3800+ for around $350.
4. PC4000/4800 are not "official" JEDEC standards. If a system can handle DDR PC3200, then it can handle PC4000/4800.
5. Why 2 PCIe slots? Do you want SLI, Crossfire or multiple monitors?

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

covert240

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2005
Well I want DC and 2 PCIe slots for the capability to expand in the future. While DC and SLI are not major features right now, they will become so in the future. I want to have a motherboard that can upgrade to a higher (lower cost) proccessor in the future rather then have to switch my rig all together, again. Also, as software progresses, so will the capabilities of a DC/SLI rig, and as hardware becomes more available and at a lower cost, my rig will be very upgradable. I like that idea :)

Thats awesome to hear about the ram compatabilities. I guess I will buy my motherboard and ram seperate, as I cannot find any combos that use pc4000/4800 ram. Is 4800 sugnificantly better then 4000? And is 4000 sugnificantly better then 3200? High end gaming, movies, writing CD/DVDs, ect.

Anyways, if I could get a AGP slot in the bad boy as well it would rule. I am going to have an AGP graphics card and would like to spend as little money at a time as possible.

pat

Expert
benefit will be less power needed. Other than that, should allow for higher bandwidth.

(\__/)
(=<font color=red><b>˚</b></font color=red>.'=)
(")ώ(") This is my bunny..terminator!!!

I don't know of any SLI boards that have and AGP slot, too.

Ratings on the RAM are for speeds that the mfr states the RAM will run stable. The difference between PC3200 and PC4000/4800 may or may not give you a significant performance increase for the entire system. The RAM will be faster, but it may not have a significant impact on overall system performance.

One issue with doing either of the DC rigs for upgradeability is that AMD will be going to the M2 socket within the next 12 months and Intel changes sockets more often than a clean-freak changes underwear. There may not be a significant price drop for the socket CPU that you buy today. Don't get me wrong over the next 12 months and when the M2 first hits the street, there will be a drop in prices for the DC chips, but after that point, the drops may not be as significant as you would like.

Buy today for your need today. There are too many uncertainties in the computer hardware industry to make a future-proof system that you will be able to completely upgrade in 2 years by simply getting a better CPU or different RAM.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PC4000 is overclocking RAM. PC4000 is overclocked PC3200, made for overclocking your system.

DDR2 will become more important in the future, but is insignificant with today's bus speeds.

PC20,000 wouldn't be any faster than PC3200 on an A64...and would only be a hair faster than PC3200 on a P4.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>