Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 crashes when mac on same network

Last response: in Windows 7
September 14, 2010 9:29:55 PM

Hello,
Main PC is an AMD 64 X2 4600+ with 2Gb RAM and runs Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I also have XP installed on another HDD so that I can boot into either OS. However, the problem I have only occurs in Windows 7. The PC is hard wired to my router.

Windows 7 was running without issue for several months. However, my son bought a Macbook for his studies which he connects to the network by wireless. The Windows 7 PC now crashes to BSOD with error messages and asks me to check and recently installed hardware / software. Nothing new has been added and I have checked all drivers are up to date. The problem only occurs when the Mac is connected to the network.

I Googled and found some info suggesting a problem with IP conflicts and have tried allocating a fixed IP to the respective machines, but the problem persists. I have also tried a fixed IP on the PC and leaving the Mac to get an IP from the routers DHCP, but same problem soon occurs.

As I said, if I start the PC in XP, the PC and MAC work happily together on the network, so I am assuming it’s a Windows 7 gremlin rather than the Macbook.

All help greatly appreciated.

September 15, 2010 5:23:08 AM

Hi Zimmer,

First, I would recommend you upgrade your memory to 4gb. You are not fully utilizing the capability of your 64-bit operating system without having 4gigs of ram. Simply, you don't need a 64-bit version if you have less than 4gb of ram.

When the computer BSODs, it will dump the contents of the memory into a dump file. Will you upload that dump file somewhere so I can download and do a check on it? It will point us to the right direction as to why it BSODs.

Since the issue is pretty vague, I'll wait to hear from you before I suggest other things to try.
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 2:11:09 PM

try disabling IPv6 on the W7 machine.
Related resources
November 2, 2010 3:40:31 AM

I'm having the same exact problem. The PC stays connected for a moment and then BSODs usually when the Mac first connects to the network.

Thanks for any help.
December 28, 2010 3:17:32 AM

mathaddict said:
I'm having the same exact problem. The PC stays connected for a moment and then BSODs usually when the Mac first connects to the network.

Thanks for any help.

I am having the same exact issue. Did you get resolution to your problem? Was hoping to learn from your experience. Thanks.
!