Sign in with
Your question

System needs motherboard and ur help?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 30, 2005 6:12:56 PM

Hi guys.
I would appreciate any comments and suggestions before I spend a shed load of money on this stuff. After looking through the forums I have a list of stuff but can't decide on a SLI motherboard. I want quiet but powerfull and the option to go SLI when the prices drop.

Case Antec P180 with and SP500PGB PSU
Processor AMD X2 4400 (budget permiting)
Gainward 7800GT x1 (in stock and cheapest)
Reuse my existing DDR400 memory 1Gb OR
Corsair Memory TWINX1024 - 3200C2PT PC3200 2x512MB CL2Silver
Nec LCD2070NX monitor

The three MB I have looked at are
Gigabyte GA-K8NU-SLI
Abit An8-Ultra SLI
Epox 9nPA +SLI

Your help in wasting my money wisely is most appreciated..

More about : system motherboard

October 30, 2005 6:32:29 PM

Why dual core CPU? If this is primarily for gaming, then the dual core isn't worth the money unless you are doing a lot of other things while you're playing games.

What memory do you have right now? Are you going to OC? If not OCing, your memory works fine and it is a 2X512MB setup, then stick with it. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Either the Abit or the Epox would be great boards. Go with the one that has all of the features that you want at the best price.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 30, 2005 6:55:56 PM

Thanks Rugger.

If not dual core what would you suggest as a minimum (AMD only plz)?

I would hope not to O/C to start with but my current memory is CL3. Do you reckon I'll notice the difference moving to CL2?

I fancy both the boards so will do a detailed comparison on features like you suggest.

Ta
Related resources
October 30, 2005 7:05:09 PM

An definitely no ASUS MB!
Thanks to wusy
October 30, 2005 9:11:47 PM

I'd only recommend that when he needs to make that upgrade. As long as gaming performance is good, he can stick with the RAM he has.

Harm: I'd go for a 3500+ or 3700+ if not OCing. Personally, I'm going to go with a 3200+ on my next build and OC to 3700+ performance. You can also adjust the timings on your current RAM. The first thing that I would adjust is the Command Rate - put it on 1T if it is on 2T and then test for stability.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 9:28:26 AM

Thanks Rugger.
Is it a large overclock to get that to 3700 or a simple fsb increase?

Will take ur advice and try my existing memory first.
October 31, 2005 10:10:43 AM

Easy OC to 3700+ - FSB. You're current RAM may even handle that OC. If it doesn't then you can isolate the RAM with the FSB divider on the Abit or Epox - not sure if the Giga has the divider.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 12:05:41 PM

Thanks. I think you are right with going to 3500+ and saving some money. Can do this later when the proces come down and add the secon 7800 if needed.
October 31, 2005 12:23:49 PM

NP. I'm not a huge believer in SLI unless you game at high res with all of the eye candy. I don't typically upgrade on a regular basis. I'll do a build and then run it into the ground, so when I upgrade I find a good balance for the vid card (price/perf) and stick with it for the long haul. The thing with vid cards is that the next gen cards have been outperforming SLId old gen cards. The prices on the old gen haven't dropped to the point that it is cost effective to just pop in another card - it's usually better to get the new gen card for a few dollars more. JMHO.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
!