ISDN and Wireless

Help! Where I live I can not get DSL or Cable, and so I use ISDN,
which works fine for my home office. I use a 3com OfficeConnect LAN
modem, to which I have connected a pc, laptop and phone. Since the
office doubles as a guest room, and my IBM laptop has a wireless G
card resident, I'd like to use wifi to work in other parts of my small
home when I have guests. I have had NO LUCK with wireless routers -
both Lynksys and Netgear say their routers don't work with ISDN (which
makes no sense to me, but what do I know?)

I emailed 3com with asking if there's a way to use wifi with their
modem. They don't support that model anymore, but a guy there
suggested that I need a wifi access point rather than a router.

What's the difference between an access point and a router?

Has anyone else out there succesfully used wifi with ISDN? If so,
what's the trick?

Thanks,

Nikki
3 answers Last reply
More about isdn wireless

    If you have a spare port on your Lan Modem you can get an access point such
    as a http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608 .

    Wireless routers are really a router with a built in access point. An access
    point is the device that actually talks to your laptop. Could be the 3com
    was having trouble with the router part. I would try an Access Point and see
    if it will work ok.

    "NBaldwin" <nbaldwin@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > Help! Where I live I can not get DSL or Cable, and so I use ISDN,
    > which works fine for my home office. I use a 3com OfficeConnect LAN
    > modem, to which I have connected a pc, laptop and phone. Since the
    > office doubles as a guest room, and my IBM laptop has a wireless G
    > card resident, I'd like to use wifi to work in other parts of my small
    > home when I have guests. I have had NO LUCK with wireless routers -
    > both Lynksys and Netgear say their routers don't work with ISDN (which
    > makes no sense to me, but what do I know?)
    >
    > I emailed 3com with asking if there's a way to use wifi with their
    > modem. They don't support that model anymore, but a guy there
    > suggested that I need a wifi access point rather than a router.
    >
    > What's the difference between an access point and a router?
    >
    > Has anyone else out there succesfully used wifi with ISDN? If so,
    > what's the trick?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nikki

    On 5 Nov 2004 09:34:14 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , nbaldwin@qwest.net
    (NBaldwin) wrote:

    (snip details of someone with an ADSL modem/router they're trying to use
    with wireless)

    Buy yourself a cheap AP and plug it into a spare port on your
    officeconnect, which I believe has a builtin 4-port switch.

    >What's the difference between an access point and a router?

    Nothing, except a wireless router has a WAN port for connection to the
    internet, and probably some sort of firewall, and probably a 4-port switch
    builtin. :-) The wireless side is identical.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<fptno0dvhfof7sgobj6svgk52kmqif9f2u@4ax.com>...
    (message content with advise snipped)

    Thank you both for your assistance. Nikki

Wireless WiFi Wireless Networking