Asus or MSI

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I hear MSI sucks, but I like the look of the "MSI K8N NEO-4 Platinum" board. It has great features. I also like the ASUS A8N-E board. The Prices are both in my range. I will pair them up with a gig of corsair xms, and hopefully a 7800gt!!! What would you choose? I am a little bit of a newb, but i know a lot. So something not tooooo complicated would be nice, so would a good manual.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
do you plan on overclocking at all? Google reviews of each board.

<font color=blue><i><b>Ride the Pig, Gir!</b></i></font color=blue>

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I currently have a Socket A MSI board that has been running flawlessly for a few years.

I built a rig for a friend of mine with the MSI K8N Neo4-F and it went smoothly and was really simple.

I am planning on building another rig for myself using an EPoX this time. I hear a lot of good things about EPoX and I want to try something different.

What do you plan on doing with your rig? Are you going to be oc-ing? If so, I hear that you would want to use EPoX or a DFI Lanparty.

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
No, no overclocking. I hear some bad things about DFI lanparty boards. But which one would you pick. Msi or the Asus. Others are helpful too, but only if they are significantly better.

The Epox 9NPA+ Ultra or Abit AN8 Ultra - take a look at their features on Newegg. Great boards with great support. Between the boards you listed...Asus. I've never had great luck with MSI boards and I know of a lot of other people that have the same types of issues I had - I think their QA sucks. As DM said the DFI is not for newbs - a lot of settings make it difficult to get running smoothly if you don't know what you're doing.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

pat

Expert
Don't buy a board based on how good it looks.. You don't look at the board, but rather at the screen. That being said, I know somebody how has an A8N-E and it is fine. Me, I would get maybe the Aopen nforce4 for a no frill, fast motherboard. Or the Epox. maybe the Chaintec. But I like the Aopen better. New egg has the Aopen, if you want to take a look.

But, stay away from MSI.. Seriously.

(\__/)
(=<b>˚</b>.'=)That was my bunny..terminator!!! Now terminated...

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
looks good as in the best choice.....I like the EPOX, i think i will stay away from MSI now. So now its between the EPOX and the Asus.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
alright. the guy says no overclocking. If you're so against Asus due to it's so-called overclocking limit, then that has nothing to do with this. If you want solid performance at stock speeds, I'd go with Asus. Never let me down :) Good performance. Good features. Like I said before: Do the research for reviews. I've never found a bad review for Asus and screw this "240 limit". I've read about A64 Asus boards doing anywhere from 230 - 300+. It's all what you put into it - the right combo: PSU, RAM, CPU, MOBO. They all play nice together, you're in for a real treat. Do the research. If you read a review or forum thread of someone having great luck with something, take note of the components. Without confusing you on your original question over Asus or MSI, I'd go Asus, all the way. And, hey, if the "look" of the mobo is important (if you have a window in your case) drop the extra $10 and go with the A8n-SLI even if you don't want to do SLI. The board is slick (black) and the video card will rest higher, leaving you room for an NV5 cooler and plenty of breathing room if you want to install, say, a soundblaster x-fi or other PCI cards. The A8N-E forces you to use a lower PCI-E slot suffocating the video card if you use other PCI cards. That's my two cents and a half.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
lol...the yellow or the black? yeah, the yellow boards have always been the ugliest.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I vote MSI

I have a MSI K8N NEO-4 Platinum which I am very happy with, and I just put together a NEO-4F for my mother, and wouldn't hesitate to use any of the MSI NForce 4 boards in furture builds.

Only downside to the Neo4-Platinum is the northbridge cooler which is a little too loud and high pitched for anyone trying to build a silent PC. The newer Neo 4F's NB cooler spins at 5600 rpm rather than 7600 and was much easier on the ears.

I replaced my NB cooler with a Zalman passive cooler with an 80mm case fan aimed at it :) But then I added a three 4 year old Western Digital hard drives so I am back to square one :(.

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I never said i cared about color. It could be rainbow if it waws the board that worked. Asus a8n-e, and EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra both sound like winners to me. Forget msi, dfi, and abit. Out of the remaining boards whats the best? I like the Epox, suprisingly.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
hahah was there anything wrong with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe? that's asus, and that was an excellent board.

ASUS PWNZ!

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i've ran the A7N8X Deluxe for 3 yrs now basically.... and didn't have 1 single problem with it... In my book asus is on good terms with me.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I had an Asus P4P800 deluxe OC'd to 260 for 2 years. Does that count for anything?

tqrules

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
iv builded alot of motherboards all asus offcourse its main stream i have even put a hp mini slim desktop pc in a normal case due to the power supply failed to make a long story short i bought a msi 945GM2 a few years back and i whent on building it like 2 days ago when i installed everything the 400 watt specified power supply brand new the new celeron 3.0 ghz 800 mhz fan bus brand new everything i put in it was brand new but when i pushed the start button it all seemd to work ... but the screen stuck in black it never botted up the screen stayed black all the time so i asked a friend who loves msi and he told me it might be the j-bat so i tried that but well nothing changed it became even worse .. after i tried the jbat back and i thought to myself lets try one more time i might be lucky my brand new 400 watt power supply exploded.... DEATH to msi and i do mean that with their beeps en tones and whatever ate least the asus speaks and i have never had this situation .. i think their is still a partial waranty but i have searched the msi sites and well their customer service is as good as none.

ASUS HP AMD ITS ALL GOOD BUT DEATH TO MSI !

janetf

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Can someone tell me where I can purchase a replacement motherboard for my MSI mega book S260, ie Intel GM915-ich6 - thanks - janet - frsrjnt@yahoo.co.nz