845MP/MZ chipset mobo compatibility?

adderdawn

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2005
I have a P4M 2.2 Ghz processor (sSpec#SL6VB (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium4-m/index.htm) ) that I would like to build into a nice quiet little desktop machine. The concern I have is that intel says that it is compatible with the 845MP/MZ chipset. My problem is that I can't find a Socket 478 mobo with the 845MP/MZ chipset. My question is: how important is the chipset compatibility? If I match the voltage, socket and the bios supports my processor, should I be alright? Will it be difficult to determine if the bios supports my processor?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ad.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should be able to pop it into any desktop Socket 478 board and have it work...it's a northwood. The problem is, desktop boards can't fix the multiplier: P4M's have different multipliers available for speed stepping, and a desktop board will default to the lowest. I'm not certain what the lowest multiplier for the 2.2 is, but it's probably something like 16, giving you 1.6GHz rather than 2.2.

Of course you could use the underclocking to allow lower voltage and reduce heat. Or, most retail boards allow bus-speed adjustment, you could set the bus speed to 133MHz (533FSB). Assuming it drops to 16x...16x133 = 2.13GHz, and the added bus speed would make it actually perform better without increasing heat (compared to a 2.2GHz setting).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>