socket A mb question

Fanatic

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
I know this is a little behind the times but my gigabyte ga-7nnxp started acting strange and I need a replacement but I've found that there arent many socket A mb's available anymore. I've heard that gigabyte had problems with bad caps during this time period so im hesitant to go with them. Been looking at the ASUS a7n8x series (prefer the nforce 2 400 ultra chipset) but can't tell the differences between the a7n8x and a7n8x-e or their deluxe counterparts. Looking for 400 fsb and ddr capabilities to take advantage of the xp 3200+ processor im using. Need SATA for drives I already have. Like the idea of the dolby sound and no chipset fans to fail (replaced 3 on my gigabyte board) I would appreciate any advice to get me up and running until I rebuild with a 939 system.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fanatic on 11/01/05 09:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The differences between the A7N8X and the other Asus derivatives will be the features on the board. Performance will be similar on the different boards, but they step up board features...and price.

Take a look at the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123233" target="_new">Epox 8RDA3+ Pro</A>. Uses the nVidia MCP-S with 8 channel support on Realtek ALC850. SATA, 3xDDR, Gigabit LAN, Firewire...Great for $70.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

If you're considering the ASUS go for the A7N8X-E Deluxe Dual Channel DDR There are major differences in the ASUS line and the <b><font color=red>[A7N8X-X is a single channel]</font color=red></b> not a dual channel NF2 chipset.

The 8RDA3+ does have dual channel...

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

pat

Expert
With socket A, dual channel is not really more than marketing. The Soltek NV400, which was a single channel nforce2 system was even faster than the As8us a7n8x-e.

his system is going to be obsolete soon anyway, so I'll go for cheap anyway ...

(\__/)
(=<b>˚</b>.'=)That was my bunny..terminator!!! Now terminated...

Ruggers, Epox suggestion is probably your best bet, even though I'm running an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, and I'm pleased with it, I have a friend that got a bad A7N8X-E Deluxe M/B from ASUS, RMA'd it, and the RMA'd M/B he got back, was also bad, he had to turn around and RMA that M/B back to ASUS, on his third M/B from ASUS he finally got a good one, so even for myself right now I'd get the EPOX.

ASUS's support for my friend has basically turned me away from ASUS, if you're lucky enough, as I was, to get a good ASUS M/B the first time, you'd probably never have a problem with it, but if not!

If you RMA a M/B back to a company what are the odds the one you get back would also be bad, its extremely negligent for a M/B manufacturer to send a non functioning M/B to someone, you would think they would have checked and double checked the replacement, but they didn't.

Think about that!

Another great option. The thing that I hate is that Abit put out several "updated" boards that were POS compared to the original. :mad:

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!