MoBo dieing? somethings up with my USB i think

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
First, my external HD got currupted, then my girlfreinds USB key died, then a couple months later mine died. i tohught nothgin of it... but now i have my suspecions.

I have a 8-in-1 (looks like a 4-in-1) memory card reader that i use for my camera, but now it won't except my card.

so i tryed using my camera thinking that the card reader died... but it still wont recognize the card.

I have a bunch of other items pluged into other USB ports...Mouse, printer, internet...they all work...

whats going on?

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Print something to make sure the printer works, then try the non-working items in printer's port. Do they work?

If not, were all the 'dead' things working off the same USB port on the PC? If so, definitly don't plug anything into that port that you want to keep.

If the other stuff works, try a working item in the non-working port (Just one). Does it work?

If the 'dead' stuff works and the working thing doesn't, then that port (or ports) on the mobo appears bad. If the USB port you're using is plugged into a motherboard header make sure the cable to the mobo is connected right.

This could be a single port going bad, or it could continue to cascade and eventually bring the mobo down. I don't know if there's a way to tell. If the board really killed those devices I would RMA/replace the board immediately. That's the system in your sig? No RMA then.

If its just a dead port or 2, I would 1) if you have enough USB ports to cover you, do nothing for now, just move to working ports; 2) buy a PCI USB controller and install it; or 3) buy a new mobo, In that order, and only if I had to.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS