Doom 3 pcforum

carl_16

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
cant get my doom3 to play on my laptop with windows 7....i did some delving but the last word was that doom3 was incompatible....i tried uninstalling n installing a few times but no joy.....it loads fine but when you press start game it jus stops......help carl

Here's a possible solution:

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/1948-doom3-windows-7-a-5.html

Ok so after 4 or 5 days of trying to get doom 3 working properly in windows 7 I stumbled acrossed this fix by accident. Whenever I run a program that is not compatible with windows 7's Aero theme it automatically changes my theme to windows 7 Basic. And after it changed my theme to windows 7 Basic because I tried to run some older dvd program I was still messing around trying to get Doom 3 to work. I ran Doom 3 while windows was still in Windows 7 Basic Theme mode and BAM!!!! It works perfectly! I tested it further and found that it only works if I'm in Windows 7 Basic Theme mode.

I hope this works for everyone else. To change to windows 7 Basic Theme mode go to control panel under where it says Appearance and Personalization click on "change the theme." Near the bottome it should say "basic and high contrast themes" click on Windows 7 Basic.