Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Hi. I have an
AMD Athlon 3200+
Asus A7N8X-X
512 MB RAM
ATI 9800 PRO
WIN XP SP2

When I set my BIOS settings to optimal, with 200 MHz memory speed, I have this crash report:

No Label

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9800 PRO (6571)

General protection fault!

History: ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- ProcessNode <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

To solve the problem I have to slow the memory frecuency to 197 MHz, and my system don't crush.

I have installed the latest BIOS, Nvidia and ATI drivers and I still having the problem.

What can I do now?

What RAM? Please be specific.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

I waas just making sure that the RAM wasn't PC2700 or lower. How long have you had the PC and where did you get it? If you just got it, then have the maker warranty their product.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

jodoanyore

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks, but i have my PC over a year, so I don't have warranty.

I'm not sure of what is crashing my PC. I thought it was my old ATI 9200 video card, but I changed it for a 9800 PRO and I still having the problem.

I updated the bios and it continous crashing. So I did what I know works. I lowed down the procesor frecuency to 198 Mhz. I don't know if I can damage my processor with that. The other option I am thinking is slowing my processor speed to 166 Mhz.

what do you think?

Run Memtest86 with both sticks of RAM. If you get errors, then run the test on each stick individually. Sounds like a memory issue.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

sturm

Splendid
in your origional post it lists the cpu as running at 2207 mhz. stock speed is 2000 mhz try setting the bios back to default settings and see what happens.