CDMA/GSM Voice Quality

I am really a bit stunned, I have had reason to use a GSM phone for
the last week (Blackberry 7280 on ATT in metro DC) and the voice
quality is just superb. I really thought I would be with Verizon for
the long hall and now have to think about it. The VZ coverage is
better – but is it that much better? I'm still not sure. Being able
to hear the other party so clearly has its up sides also!
I am also not sure about the effect of the Cingular/ATT merger. It
still clearly prefers the ATT network even when there may be some
better Cingular signal – this will probably change soon and
Cingular+ATT will get better coverage (or perhaps I am just listening
to sales hype).
My VZ phone is an LG4400, one of the better ones. Has anyone else
noted this voice quality issue? Could there be any other factors?

-JAX

PS: Need Bluetooth phone without camera! Would like integrated PDA
with buttons I can push (like the blackberry but with a real OS)
5 answers Last reply
More about cdma voice quality

    I have two kids in California. One has GSM
    and the other CDMA. The CDMA is with
    Sprint and the GSM ATTWS. If they are
    both in a good signal area I can't tell the
    difference. Of course GSM is mainly based
    on TDMA. It's, "IMHOP," difficult to compare
    two technologies, even in a lab. I think that
    in some areas "GSM" will be better and in
    others CDMA. Actually, based on about 12
    years cellular use with several carriers, when
    it comes to "understandability," old analog
    sounds natural, but has many disadvantages,
    of course. Regards

    John wrote:
    > My VZ phone is an LG4400 [..snip..] Would like integrated PDA

    You do realise your VX4400 has all the following functionality?

    - Phonebook/Contacts
    - Calendar/Schedule
    - Alarms
    - Notes/To do list
    - Voice notes
    - Messaging/SMS
    - Call history
    - Web browser
    - Calculator
    - World clock
    - Images and sounds

    What exactly do you need a PDA for? I am only half joking :-)
    It was actually all this functionality and my desire to integrate
    it with my PC that led me to starting BitPim. I'll probably
    just finish the VX4400 support at the time my phone croaks.

    Roger

    On 9/8/04 11:08 PM, in article
    9e812e3c.0409081908.4494df35@posting.google.com, "John" <jax@presidency.com>
    wrote:

    > I am really a bit stunned, I have had reason to use a GSM phone for
    > the last week (Blackberry 7280 on ATT in metro DC) and the voice
    > quality is just superb. I really thought I would be with Verizon for
    > the long hall and now have to think about it. The VZ coverage is
    > better – but is it that much better? I'm still not sure. Being able
    > to hear the other party so clearly has its up sides also!
    > I am also not sure about the effect of the Cingular/ATT merger. It
    > still clearly prefers the ATT network even when there may be some
    > better Cingular signal – this will probably change soon and
    > Cingular+ATT will get better coverage (or perhaps I am just listening
    > to sales hype).
    > My VZ phone is an LG4400, one of the better ones. Has anyone else
    > noted this voice quality issue? Could there be any other factors?

    Yes - I've been with Verizon for 3 years, with a LG TM-510 and a T720. Both
    have had Excellent voice quality within my area. Also, where I work, we use
    Verizon for cellphones and it's not uncommon to use them extensively all the
    time. They are mixes of Kyocera, Motorola, and Audiovox. In a quiet room,
    all sound very good. However once the background noise or compression on
    the cell increases, they all sound absolutely horrible. Most of the time,
    they actually hurt my ears. Warbly coarse sound and it just overall sounds
    horrible. The best are those with flips, Motorolas and LG.

    However, I've been experiencing seriously declining service on both my work
    cell phone and my personal phone (also was with VZ), so I started looking at
    alternatives. Having tried GSM back in the Omnipoint days (and had decent
    coverage) I was fine going back.

    Picked up a T637 and signed 1 year with ATTWS (will convert to Cingular once
    the merger goes through) as I was with them previously and had great
    service. Well, let me tell you, the quality is a lot better. You do hear
    more background noise with GSM, but your voice comes through loud and clear.
    And it sounds very natural. No warbly coarse sound, just your normal voice.
    A much better sounding system than CDMA, IMHO.

    And ATTWS's coverage has been every bit as good as (actually better than)
    Verizon's here in S. Central PA.

    I agree with that. I have Cingular for work which uses GSM and the sound
    quality is superb. There is background noise....as with any cellular service
    but soon as you start talking or the other party, that all goes away with
    crystal clear voice. Verizon, on the other hand does not do this. I get
    loads of garble and packet loss because of the compression problems. Every
    few minutes or so I'll get a very weird blurp, which lasts about a second
    and when having a conversation with some one some one has to repeat what was
    said of course. Hey, I'm back on Verizon now but always can be thrown back
    on with Cingular again if things don't EVER get better. For those of you who
    never tried a GSM phone or used one on a network, please try if you can.
    You'll notice the difference pretty quickly.

    "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in

    Verizon, on the other
    > hand does not do this. I get loads of garble and packet loss because
    > of the compression problems. Every few minutes or so I'll get a very
    > weird blurp, which lasts about a second and when having a conversation
    > with some one some one has to repeat what was said of course. Hey, I'm
    > back on Verizon now but always can be thrown back on with Cingular

    I've observed this has to do more with Verizon, at least in eastern SC,
    than modulation schemes. I switched to Alltel because every 3rd Verizon
    incoming call I got sounded like we were standing in the bottom of a
    swimming pool trying to talk underwater so bad I'd have to return customer
    phone calls, which were fine as outgoing calls.

    Verizon denied any problem, as usual, blaming my defective V60i for
    everything. My V60i was reprogrammed for Alltel and every incoming call is
    as clear as a bell on the same CDMA modulation scheme Verizon uses. The
    garble and packet losses is Verizon, not CDMA, it seems.

    Cingular on 1900 Mhz with a poorly designed, minimal system isn't in the
    same league, here. One only has to stand in the mall near the Cingular
    kiosk on Saturday for a few minutes to listen to the vocal, irate customers
    returning equipment to get an idea of their coverage area....(c;

Verizon Internet Service Providers