You may well laugh, but ...

pat

Expert
I'm planning to upgrade my computer. Well, I have to say that I'm not really impressed by the performance of my 939 3000+ in video editing, compared to my 754 3000+. Yes, MHz matter much more than dual channel here. So, I plan getting the Sempron 3400+. Well, it is 64 bits, sse3 and 2.0 GHz. only 256k cache, but anyway, it should OC better than my current, if I need to.

And I found these board. <A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15646&vpn=NF4X-INFINITY&manufacture=DFI" target="_new"> This DFI NF4X Infinity</A> should be, if I believe those here who swear by DFI a nice board. I don't really OC. But I need stability and I hope that it will give me just that in case I decide to get it. A bit expensive thou, for the time I'll be using it..

But this <A HREF="http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=4907&mcid=31" target="_new">Gigabyte K8NE nForce4 4X</A>, if it is the same quality than my current K8NF-9, will be a nice rock stable motherboard. And one good thing, it has passive chipset cooling. Just like my current one. I like those gigabyte for that.. silent PC.

So, it is only because one friend want to get my system. I could sell him for the cost of what it will cost me to get the Sempron and the Gigabyte motherboard. I have to stay with nforce 4 for now. I don't want, nor have the time to back-up my RAID array and move it to a newer system. Because when Socket M2 will be here, it will have to be done again.. So, at this time, I may just get 2 new HDD, built a new array and copy the content of the current one to the new one.. And I may try ATI chipset too.

Anyway, It is really not an exciting time to upgrade. Chipsets are not evolving, storage is speed is stalling for HDD, PCI-e devices are inexistant... ah...bring us something new..

Oh, I may get an Intel Prescott.. It starts to be cold outside here, should do a good house warmer ...

(\__/)
(=<b>˚</b>.'=)That was my bunny..terminator!!! Now terminated...

pat

Expert
nah... dual core are not yet supported by the majority of my apps. And too expensive. Unless I can find one really cheap ...413$CAN for a cpu is much more than I'm ready to pay for soon to be obsolete technology.

(\__/)

pat

Expert
You should know me well enough that I dont care about what future will bring on. I have enough to care about now. One day at the time. No matter what you get today, even for the future, may simply not work in the future.. I get what I need for now, and I'll see what is available in the furture when I'll be there!!

(\__/)

pat

Expert
RD480 is plagued by unperforming ATI SB, or the ULI for better performance. I don't know anything about 580, but I know that ATI is preparing socket M2 chipset. so maybe that will be the case.

But anyway, This is not a good time to upgrade, so maybe I'll keep my system and build him one he'd like.

(\__/)

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
So, I plan getting the Sempron 3400+. Well, it is 64 bits, sse3 and 2.0 GHz. only 256k cache, but anyway, it should OC better than my current, if I need to.
My suggestion w/b to keep your mobo and get a socket 939 opteron 144 (or if your budget allows a 146 for the "10" multi). They're pretty cheap and seem to OC like crazy.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

pat

Expert
humm.. 210$can for the 1.8Ghz opteron is not what I call pretty cheap. The 3200+ 939 is 190$can and 2.0GHz..

(\__/)

TRENDING THREADS