Crucial Ballistix PC4000 Vs PC3200

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey guys,

I posted this in the memory forum, but I kinda need a swifter response than I'm likely to get there.

Basically, one of my sticks of Ballistix PC4000 is fubar, and I've got an RMA no., but since they don't stock those anymore, I need to tell them what I want in exchange. They do stock the PC3200 Ballistix though, and IIRC the only difference between the 4000 and the 3200 is the 4000 has an extra entry in the SPD table for 250Mhz, with slacker timings.

So if I ask for the 3200 as a replacement, it's the same stuff, and I shouldn't hit any problems with DC or anything.... right?

For reference the 3200 is 2-3-3-8 and the 4000 is 2.5-4-4-10. or at least those are what CPU-Z reports under SPD for my PC4000. The site only lists the 3200 as being CL2 - it doesn't go into detail about the others.

obviously this would be voiding the warranty (as I'd run it at 250Mhz), but as long as it works I'm not too bothered.

I can't play BF2 anymore - which I've only just bought - because it sucks with 512Mb of RAM. :frown:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, PC4000 and 3200 Ballistix are the same, except for the SPD timings. You can pop in 3200 and set it at the slacker timings for an equivalent overclock.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That's what I thought, thanks. :D

Wusy:
I've thought about getting 2Gb, but BF2 ran fine when I had 1Gb working (well, between the odd blue screen as the RAM was dying), so I'm happy to stay at 1Gb for the time being. I need to save cash really, and I just can't justify the 2Gb.

BF2 SOOOOOOO sucks with 512Mb though :(

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You can run PC4000 at 250mhz without voiding the warranty, WOW.[/IgotOwned] So really if you run some VX ram at 250MHz on 3.3v you haven't voided the warranty. :oops: I can't believe I haven't relized that, though it hasn't been a situation I have gone through that would have been useful for me to notice such.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If you bought RAM that was sold to you as PC3200, and you ran it at PC4000 speeds, you WOULD void the warranty. As to whether they could prove you'd done that if it died, well.... ahem. :wink:

I wasn't too bothered about that, I was just pretty sure that Crucial Ballistix PC4000 and 3200 where the same, but with different SPD timings. Wanted to just check, and was hoping crash would pop in and say exactly what he did :D

I sent the stuff off last week, but still haven't heard anything from them. Hope they hurry the hell up. :x

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IF its a RMA & they dont stock that piece any more, does it matter as i thought that they would b the middlemen for Crucial who would issue a replacement piece ??

or if they dont stock it any more would u not just get your money back & then u spend it how you want ??