Slow performance on a DI-624 Wireless System

I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters
PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed
in it a DWL-G520 card. Becuase of the location of the router and the
tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The
wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54
MB/s" speed.

If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec
at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get
nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over
and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular
card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.

Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?

Thanks
Peter
6 answers Last reply
More about slow performance wireless system

    Cox News wrote:

    > I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters
    > PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed
    > in it a DWL-G520 card. Becuase of the location of the router and the
    > tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The
    > wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54
    > MB/s" speed.
    >
    > If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec
    > at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get
    > nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over
    > and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular
    > card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.
    >
    > Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
    > bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    Does your old desktop PC achieve 3-4 mbit/sec when you connect it to the
    router with an ethernet cable instead of the radio?

    In article <NM6dnZytLPsJTBHcRVn-tg@adelphia.com>, roby@no-address.net
    says...
    > Cox News wrote:
    >
    > > I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters
    > > PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed
    > > in it a DWL-G520 card. Becuase of the location of the router and the
    > > tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The
    > > wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54
    > > MB/s" speed.
    > >
    > > If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec
    > > at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get
    > > nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over
    > > and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular
    > > card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.
    > >
    > > Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
    > > bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Peter
    >
    > Does your old desktop PC achieve 3-4 mbit/sec when you connect it to the
    > router with an ethernet cable instead of the radio?

    That's a great question. I have not dragged it upstairs to get it in
    proximity to the cable modem. Also, I would have to install an ethernet
    card. Maybe I can do that today and narrow the trouble possibilities.
    I'll try and post the results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:29:03 -0500, Cox News <peterpiper739@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters
    >PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed
    >in it a DWL-G520 card.

    How old? What processor and memory? Many PC's are just too slow to
    get full peformance from wireless (or wired).

    >Becuase of the location of the router and the
    >tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The
    >wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54
    >MB/s" speed.

    OK. It's got a good signal.

    >If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec
    >at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get
    >nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over
    >and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular
    >card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.

    3 to 4 Mbits/sec is typical of what you would get downloading via a
    cable modem. Something is wrong with the desktop.

    >Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
    >bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?

    Yeah, the problem is probably an undersized RWIN (default receive
    window size). Run the "tweak test" below and follow its advice.
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    "DRTCP" program works well enough for tweaking Win 98.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    In article <MPG.1bf6b30c21747a23989683@news.east.cox.net>,
    peterpiper739@yahoo.com says...
    > In article <NM6dnZytLPsJTBHcRVn-tg@adelphia.com>, roby@no-address.net
    > says...
    > > Cox News wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters
    > > > PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed
    > > > in it a DWL-G520 card. Becuase of the location of the router and the
    > > > tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The
    > > > wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54
    > > > MB/s" speed.
    > > >
    > > > If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec
    > > > at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get
    > > > nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over
    > > > and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular
    > > > card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.
    > > >
    > > > Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
    > > > bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Peter
    > >
    > > Does your old desktop PC achieve 3-4 mbit/sec when you connect it to the
    > > router with an ethernet cable instead of the radio?
    > >

    > That's a great question. I have not dragged it upstairs to get it in
    > proximity to the cable modem. Also, I would have to install an ethernet
    > card. Maybe I can do that today and narrow the trouble possibilities.
    > I'll try and post the results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

    Well I tried my system with a 802.11b Wireless USB adapter - same speed.
    I removed both the wireless adapter and the G520 PCI card, installed a
    Linksys 100TX ethernet card and ran a 50' cable to the router. Same
    speed about 600 kB/s.

    Thoughts?

    Cox News wrote:

    > In article <MPG.1bf6b30c21747a23989683@news.east.cox.net>,
    > peterpiper739@yahoo.com says...
    >> In article <NM6dnZytLPsJTBHcRVn-tg@adelphia.com>, roby@no-address.net
    >> says...

    >> > Does your old desktop PC achieve 3-4 mbit/sec when you connect it to
    >> > the router with an ethernet cable instead of the radio?
    >> >

    >> That's a great question. I have not dragged it upstairs to get it in
    >> proximity to the cable modem. Also, I would have to install an ethernet
    >> card. Maybe I can do that today and narrow the trouble possibilities.
    >> I'll try and post the results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.
    >>
    > Well I tried my system with a 802.11b Wireless USB adapter - same speed.
    > I removed both the wireless adapter and the G520 PCI card, installed a
    > Linksys 100TX ethernet card and ran a 50' cable to the router. Same
    > speed about 600 kB/s.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    That confirms my guess: your desktop isn't up to the task. The usual
    solutions (more memory, faster CPU, faster hard drive) will pep up your
    machine some ... but not to "blasingly fast".

    If you haven't done a careful search for malware running on your box, do so.

    The only other suggestion I can offer is to invite the friend with the new
    Dell laptop for another visit. Distract him and then throw a blanket over
    the laptop. Perhaps he won't miss it.

    Problem solved.

    In article <nnbro0pajdj6v62utd3d44hmibkpo08uri@4ax.com>,
    jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us says...
    > >Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop
    > >bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?
    >
    > Yeah, the problem is probably an undersized RWIN (default receive
    > window size). Run the "tweak test" below and follow its advice.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    > "DRTCP" program works well enough for tweaking Win 98.

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    SUCCESS! THANK YOU so much. Used DRTCP and followed the suggestiones on
    the tweak page and just got 4.1 MB/s! Great advice.

Wireless Desktops Powerbook Wireless Networking