Last response: in News comments
July 13, 2010 10:08:01 AM

typing on a T1500 right now
I hope celeron phases out
real pice of... well u know
I curse myself every day for buying this laptop
Score
July 13, 2010 10:10:43 AM

Never liked Celeron. Makes a lot more sense to buy a cheap AMD instead.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
July 13, 2010 10:52:58 AM

I think the 2 core Celeron is a good value especially for Enterprise computers. I think its better then a low powered Atom 2 core. Unfortunately the Celeron name got a bad rap when it first came out as being under featured for what Intel was charging for it. Now though I think its a viable solution.
Score
July 13, 2010 11:02:33 AM

jescott418I think the 2 core Celeron is a good value especially for Enterprise computers. I think its better then a low powered Atom 2 core. Unfortunately the Celeron name got a bad rap when it first came out as being under featured for what Intel was charging for it. Now though I think its a viable solution.

The whole point of Atom CPU is low power consumption and I don't see a Celeron winning over an Atom in this area.
Score
July 13, 2010 11:06:51 AM

I like the new Wolfdale Celerons but I'm hoping they phase out simply for consistency haha (i3, i5, i7).
Score
July 13, 2010 11:08:57 AM

aaruni123The whole point of Atom CPU is low power consumption and I don't see a Celeron winning over an Atom in this area.

I don't think he was implying that the Celeron had lower power consumption.
Score
July 13, 2010 11:43:13 AM

toms like rumor ;/
Score
July 13, 2010 12:11:33 PM

Some of you are very wrong. In fact, Celeron is very good from price/ performance ratio so Intel choose Celeron for servers! Why not have a review for Celeron G1101? Celeron is much better than ATOM.
Intel should kill "Pentium" branding because is very very old.
Score
July 13, 2010 12:14:44 PM

u forgot xeon
Score
July 13, 2010 12:22:31 PM

Honestly, I don't care whether it goes or stays, but the most recent E3200 and E3300 celerons have been fine. I guess the bad reputation has hurt it through the years, but I've never had a problem with the most recent dual-core generation.
Score
July 13, 2010 12:29:36 PM

i have no idea how they became popular? really gave me a hard time with any programme's :S
Score
July 13, 2010 12:39:09 PM

Yeah for weak Celery processors..
Score
July 13, 2010 12:53:03 PM

Last I checked the Pentium were the new Celerons...

So what's the point of having 2 low end cpu's.

Celerons have had their good days and bad days... If I were intel I would think it's time to let them rest and have the Popular Pentium Name run for the Masses of Excel, business and retirement home computers... EDIT: I USED BAD LANGUAGE, AND AM WASHING MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP RIGHT NOW... that's fine by me.
Score
July 13, 2010 12:59:01 PM

Quote:
No so, says Intel; the Celeron the will live on.

Intel is so articulate.
Score
July 13, 2010 12:59:25 PM

Why would they phase out C2D and keep Celeron?!
Score
July 13, 2010 12:59:46 PM

aaruni123Never liked Celeron.

I suppose you never had a Mendocino Celeron then. The Mendocinos were the first Intel desktop chip with a full-speed, on-die L2 cache and overclocked like mad. The 300A was a very famous chip with enthusiasts as it was inexpensive and regularly reached 450 MHz. That's pretty impressive considering "inexpensive" still meant about $150 and the Pentium IIs of the day cost a lot more and could maybe overclock 10-20%.

But yeah, most of the rest of the Celerons stink. The only other decent Celerons are the PIII Coppermine-based units, the Celeron 4xx Core 2-based single-cores, and a few of the current 45 nm dual-cores. The rest stink, particularly the L2-less original Covington model, the 128K L2 NetBurst units, and the SpeedStep-less notebook Celerons.

Quote:
Makes a lot more sense to buy a cheap AMD instead.

Agreed 100%.
Score
July 13, 2010 2:00:10 PM

aaruni123Never liked Celeron. Makes a lot more sense to buy a cheap AMD instead.

totally agree.
Score
July 13, 2010 2:58:04 PM

I really think they need to just scrap the atom-core2duo and focus on just the core I series. It's already a 3 tiered product line with 3 different mb socket configurations. Maybe come out with a core i1 or something for the atom celeron block.
Score
July 13, 2010 3:02:38 PM

Boo
Score
July 13, 2010 3:09:25 PM

Long live the Celeron!
Score
July 13, 2010 3:13:50 PM

You can tell what market segment the Celeron is aimed at, because they never included generation information in the name. I guess knowing what generation that processor is from is too much info for anyone in the Celeron market. I just never understood why they always branded their low-end chips as plain Celeron (not Celeron 2, Celeron 4, Celeron c2, etc..). It makes it hard to determine the value of the processor if you know just little enough to know that a Core 2 is better than a Pentium 4, but what is this Celeron (is it P4 or C2 based)? Is this computer really a good deal?

Personally, I've only ever bought one Celeron-based computer (because another K6-2 laptop just wasn't gonna cut it at the time). Now, I avoid them just because I don't know of any instance where it would be better to go Celeron over Pentium, and certainly never over a cheaper AMD chip.
Score
July 13, 2010 3:48:25 PM

of coarse intel won't kill it. they wouldn't discontinue there brand that makes them money off of selling off there defective chips
Score
July 13, 2010 3:52:30 PM

STILL ALIVE!
Score
July 13, 2010 3:53:56 PM

hallsWhy would they phase out C2D and keep Celeron?!

The Core 2 line is now old(ish) technology, and the name applies to chips based on the Conroe/Kentsfield/Yorkfield/Allendale/Wolfdale versions of the Core architecture. Celeron is a name that Intel has used across several generations of chips to label their budget chips.
Score
July 13, 2010 3:57:01 PM

victomofrealityI really think they need to just scrap the atom-core2duo and focus on just the core I series. It's already a 3 tiered product line with 3 different mb socket configurations. Maybe come out with a core i1 or something for the atom celeron block.

They are scrapping the Core 2 line since the Core ix series now encompasses almost every price level. The Atom line is almost completely separate from the rest of their chips and is designed to be extremely low-power, something that not even their Celerons have traditionally been. Atom = netbook, Celeron = extremely cheap desktop/laptop.
Score
a b å Intel
July 13, 2010 4:25:12 PM

captaincharisma wrote:
Quote:
they wouldn't discontinue there brand that makes them money off of selling off there defective chips

Like AMD selling defective X4's as X2's and X3"s?
Score
July 13, 2010 4:55:17 PM

I think celeron processor should go to muesum it is my first processor
Score
July 13, 2010 5:32:20 PM

I'm with whoever said the Pentium line should be killed... they were cancer to begin with
Score
Anonymous
July 13, 2010 5:35:54 PM

Who needs so many intel brands ?
Celeron, Pentium and C2, CI7 EE and Itanium would be dissaper !
and then only would exist: Atom for netbooks, CI3 for low cost, CI5 for mid range, CI7 for high performence desktop, and Xeon for Server !!!
Who needs more ?
Remember AMD exists too!
P.S. Sorry for my bad english!
;) 
Score
July 13, 2010 6:05:29 PM

Keeping the Celeron and Pentium branding, seems... confusing. If they wanted to use i3, i5, i7, to reboot their branding... why not run with it?
Score
July 13, 2010 7:19:42 PM

I like the celeron dual core. I have built PCs for family members and the $45 1.8 GHz Celeron dual core is more than adequate for a basic multimedia PC. Granted there is not going to be any serious gaming or video editing happening on these boxes. But though a $80 video card in there and it will do okay for games from within the last few years. Excellent value.
Score
July 13, 2010 9:20:45 PM

I don't mind to have Celeron staying alive... as long as..... it has an duel core i3 inside and with a price tag the same as the old Celeron...;)

Intel can name whatever they want... I only care about what's inside and how much it is...
Score
July 13, 2010 9:39:03 PM

I built a very stable, low power, fast & cheap server with a Celeron 420. For the right application... Celerons are very nice to have around.
Score
July 13, 2010 9:39:40 PM

Id like them to rebrand and only produce Core i3,5,7;(or 2,4,8 for the next gen)for mainstream consumer applications; with Xeon for server and workstations and Atom for low power. I think it makes things a lot clearer then making low end celerons and pentiums and core I3s.
Score
July 13, 2010 11:29:54 PM

yippy... some of them have been great value, some of them haven't, regardless celeron has always been synonymous with just slapping a big 'L' on your forehead.

I struggle to think of a surviving brand that would cause such groans from the tech community.

I think its time for it to die.

atleast with the i3, i5, i7 it is CLEAR just from the naming which is better.
Score
July 14, 2010 2:16:27 AM

Honestly, do we still even need Celeron in face of Pentium Dual-Core?
Score
July 14, 2010 2:56:02 AM

Yeah I love that - low cost effective performance.
Score
July 14, 2010 3:12:14 AM

Intel Says That CRAPleron Will Continue to Live On ...
never buy any pc with crapleron inside if u don't want a slow and crappy computer ......
Score
Anonymous
July 14, 2010 7:09:20 PM

If they want to keep Celeron, they'd benefit from integrating the pentium D and C2Duo/quad processors to Celeron!

That way they have the Corei processors as top line, the Celeron mid line, and the Atom processors as budget line.

The Atom being good enough for general computing, and the Celerons replacing the Pentium D and Core2 processors, for budget/mid power computers.
And the Corei filling in the top line.

Especially since even for premium laptops they use Corei processors.
Score
!