Motherboard problem

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Hi,
I think I may have [-peep-] my motherboard or CPU. I'm running a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with AMD 4400+ X2. My system was sitting without any panels on for a month so I decided to put the panels back on becuase of the case noise.
I then started up the computer. It booted XP fine so I just let it sit not noticing that it had acctually froze. I then shut the system off and opened the case back up. It looked fine but when I touched the CPU heat sink it was to hot to touch. The fanless heat pipe on the chipset was also too hot to touch. (But that seems to ALWAYS be far to hot) I then waited till it cooled to room tempature then powered the system back on. It then wouldn't post anything what so ever. I get nothing on the monitor as if the system wasn't powered on.
I've so far cleared CMOS by jumpers and removing the battery. I've also removed all non essential cards, drives, etc. I also dismounted the CPU. I get nothing at all when I power the system on.
Did the motherboard fry or did the CPU fry? OR both? How can I test or tell? I hope to god I can RMA this crap.

Christa

Whenever this situation occurs, I do a bare install, just placing the board on a non conductive surface, such as cardboard or the anti-static bag it came in. Use just the cpu/heatsink, video, and one stick of memory, and try to get it to post. Test the individual components one at a time. Don't jump to conclusions. For example, bad memory can give many of the same symptoms as a dead motherboard.