Abit VP6 help please

G

i just found out about this kickass mainboard. It's a bit pricey for me so i wondering if someone would answer a few newbie questions to help me make a good purchase.

-can i run it with a sigle cpu since its a dual board?

-about raid stripping, is the following setup possible: 2 ata100 hdds on master in stripping mode (raid 0), and an ata100 hd + cd-rom in regular ide mode on the slave controller. Then 4 other ide drives on the 2 regular idma66 controllers, all togeather equalling 8 ide devices.

-i'm thinking of getting 2 Celeron 700 FCPGA cpus, but if i get coppermine 700s, how much performance gain can i expect. I'm asking this because i have a celeron600 machine at work and a p3-500 (slot1) at home and the slower home pc runs considerably faster.

-i've read about problems with the via agp chipset and win2000, can i expect any flaws with this board and a voodoo5500 or a matrox millenium 450 dual head ?

i would greatly appreciate any help/comments/suggestions, thx all

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
-Any Dual Motherboard you can run with one CPU

-When you do your RAID stripping make sure to do it with identicle drives. Hook up a CD-Rom onto the primary controller and hook up the other 2 ATA100 drives onto the RAID controller. Make sure that you have everything working before u fill up all your IDE slots, as to avoid confusion and conflicts.

-Coppermines tend to run a little faster. Dual CPU's don't double your performance. Tom has explained that many-a-times. I can concur with tom on this. Dual Processors tend to yeald a 13-20% increase in performance gains on everyday applications. If you do a lot of 3d studio max, by all means get the dual processors. But most normal applications don't even support dual CPU's. For the Money get yourself a 1ghz Thunderbird with a ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard. It will be a lot faster. OH, i almost forgot. IF you are running dual processors, you are stuck with running Windows 2000, NT4, or Linux. 95 and 98 will not run on it so don't bother trying

-As long as you have the latest VIA drivers you should be okay with ur voodoo5500. Personally i would have gotten a GeForce but thats my opinion.

bojon1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just a quick note. According to Highpoint it should be no problem having a cd-rom on the raid controller, but I have heard nothing but trouble when you do it. I would recommend using the raid controller only for hard drives. Use the onboard IDE for your cdrom.
Good luck tell us how it goes.
Also, Celerons are slow as mud. That is part of the reason. That your home computer is faster. If you realy want speed, I agree with the other post. Abitw/ raid and a thunderbird is the way to go. It is great bang for the buck.

G

Hey, you're writing about problems with VP6 and it is yet to bbe realased!!! Abit says It's gonna be availible on the and of the month. So were did you get it? In America oor where? I live in Erope annd Ican not see ay chances to get it right now and I have to buy a new mainboard o please tell me how to get it.