bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Not sure about the D-Link router but I you can just use an external HDD. That way you don't even have to take up space on the PS3 HDD and just connect the external one when you want to watch any movies from it. That's what I do.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What exactly do you want to do?

You can't do file transfer between PC and PS3 per se - you either have to use external storage or rig up a web server on your PC.

And what do you mean connect your hard drive to the TV? You'll have to check the spec of your TV to see what formats it supports and how to do it.

By the sound of it, you want to get the movies on your PC to display on the TV, so why not try setting up a media server on your PC and stream the videos to your PS3? I use Nero MediaHome and it's fantastic.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I do this using PS3mediaserver on my PC.

You can stream over network (or copy to PS3 hard drive over network if you prefer).

Works great (with wirelss N should be flawless, with wireless G nearly everything works, some MP4 encodings will be choppy, with a wired connection it's smooth as silk).

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
All of the above will give you the ability to have the content on your PS3. The PS3 connects to your TV and thus plays the content on your TV. Very few TV's allow you to directly connect external media to them, that is why you have a PS3.

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Wire the PS3 to your router via network cable especially if watching HD files. If your router supports GB, all the better. I had some stuttering even with my N connection. Mockingbirduk seems to have a similar setup, and the one I would recommend.

RedRum Jester

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

I've got the same setup, hard-wired to the router - PC & PS3 but my PS3 cannot see the video files on my PC. So I don't know where to place them on the PC. And also, I need to know in what format the video files should be. MKV or WMV or WMA.

My PS3 can see the photos and music on my PC, but not the movies. O yes, and all the movies are HD 1080. So I don't know if the files are too big for the PS3 to play.

I will appreciate advise and information.

Thanks

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The PS3 (annoyingly) can only read specific video formats (usually a specific encoding of MPEG-4), so it's not usually a case of just connecting the PS3 to the PC and start playing.

It's best to use a streaming media server on the PC to send the videos to the PS3 - plenty of free ones out there.

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

You need to label the file your videos as VIDEO so your PS3 can see it. At least for an external hard drive it does. I imagine the PC will be the same. I use PS3mediaserver myself and it works awesomely, and it is really pretty simple to use. What is nice about this program is that if your internet connection/cpu can handle the additional load you can transcode your videos on the fly to play virtually any file. It may be a problem with 1080p though as you will need some muscle to get it to work without stuttering.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
^ You might not need as much system grunt as you'd think to do on-the-fly transcoding.

I'm using Nero MediaHome and I've transcoded 480p DivX to 1080p MPEG-4 over 100Mb LAN using my old 3.2GHz P4 Prescott.

OK, the image was a little soft and the frame rate wasn't pristine but 40-minute TV programmes streamed through without any pauses or drops.

aladinsane2005

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Problem solved, installed HDMI cable from video card direct to HD TV (75' away) and BAM!!! everything: movies music, pics, files play perfect. No PS3 or software hassles. Bye bye comcast cable tv. I will use savings to purchase wireless keyboard/mouse

justingeorge

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
@aladinsane20C...Could you please tell me how you did it. I am having the same problem because my laptop does not have an HDMI port and that's the reason I cannot watch any downloaded videos from laptop in HD. If I am not mistaken I understand that even you had a similar problem.