Simo1

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2005
Hello everyone! I've always come to Tom's for good buying guides but this time i'm baffled. The latest AMD duals have got me hot to trot on building a new system for both work and home. Yea, yea i've heard all about it...desktop for home/workstation for apps! Who's got the ching $$! So for now until i can get my dream "BOXX", this will have to do. Here's my dilema...being somewhat of a newbie to all this "jargon" can someone explain to me (in layman's terms) the differences between AMD's 4600+ x2@ 2.4 and 4800+ x2@ 2.4? They both have the same FSB of 2000, they both run @ 2.4, but there sure is a big price difference between the two! What's up with that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have other things to get for my system and don't want to waste my money if spending the extra won't give me extra "UMPH!" I'll be running CAD, Argon and Studio Tools for apps. and then the usual stuff for everything else. Thanks for all your input.

dhlucke

Polypheme
The 4600+ is a Manchester core and has 512KB of L2 Cache
The 4800+ is a Toledo core and has 1MB of L2 Cache

The extra cache makes it more expensive, but to be honest I haven't been up to date on the performance difference so you might want to read some reviews here or at anandtech.com and see if the performance difference in the applications you will be using can justify the cost difference.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

Simo1

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks! Of course I would overlook that! (must have read the specs too many times)I'll look into that."Wingdingium"? Is that in Albakerky? lol!

...and you didn't post this in the CPU forum?! :eek:

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

Hides behind lamppost (cartoon style)

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
**picks Ned's pockets while he trimbles**

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Auburn9698

Champion
Dammit, quit playing pocket pool with skinny boy.

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>
<A HREF="http://www.midnightdreamslingerie.com/images/2004 costume leg 83007.jpg" target="_new">This is a real bunny.</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Dammit, Janet

Oh Brad, I'm mad

Dammit, Janet

I love you

It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
But listen closely

Let's do the Time Warp again

It's so dreamy
Oh, fantasy free me
So you can't see me
No, not at all
In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention
Well secluded, I see all

With a bit of a mind flip

You're into the time slip

And nothing can ever be the same

You're spaced out on sensation

Like you're under sedation

It's just a jump to the left

And then a step to the right

With your hands on your hips

You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>