Technology of Sprint PCS

Is Sprint CDMA or GSM or (other) ????
15 answers Last reply
More about technology sprint

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:58:10 -0400, singha_lvr
    <singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote:

    >Is Sprint CDMA or GSM or (other) ????

    Sprint PCS, Verizon, Primeco and others use CDMA.

    AT&T Wireless and cingular use TDMA (IS-136) and also use GSM

    T-Mobile uses GSM

    Other small carriers (Einstein PCS, etc. use GSM)

    Nextel uses iDen

    Sprint originally was CDMA in San Diego and GSM in the Washington
    DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland markets. They converted to all CDMA a few
    years ago.

    singha_lvr wrote:
    > Is Sprint CDMA or GSM or (other) ????

    CDMA

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by

    dave wrote:

    > Sprint originally was CDMA in San Diego and GSM in the Washington
    > DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland markets. They converted to all CDMA a few
    > years ago.

    Sprint Spectrum was GSM.

    I forgot why they dumped GSM, but that's when they launched Sprint PCS as a
    CDMA-only network. Brochures and other literature still show Sprint Spectrum
    L.P. as the copryight owner, though.

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:58:10 -0400, singha_lvr
    <singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote:

    >Is Sprint CDMA or GSM or (other) ????

    CDMA. But why not use alt.cellular.sprintpcs ?

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:50:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >dave wrote:
    >
    >> Sprint originally was CDMA in San Diego and GSM in the Washington
    >> DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland markets. They converted to all CDMA a few
    >> years ago.
    >
    >Sprint Spectrum was GSM.
    >
    >I forgot why they dumped GSM, but that's when they launched Sprint PCS as a
    >CDMA-only network. Brochures and other literature still show Sprint Spectrum
    >L.P. as the copryight owner, though.

    I'm still surprised to this day why Sprint dumped GSM. I guess they
    thought it wouldn't take off in the US. Then companies like
    Voicestream (now T-Mobile), AT&T Wireless and SBC/BellSouth (aka
    Cingular) and others went on the GSM bandwagon and now GSM will
    probably overtake CDMA over time.

    Right now, CDMA is king in this country (with SPCS and VZW being the
    leaders), but give it 5 years and GSM may be the technology of choice.
    With the merger of AWS and Cingular, this may actually increase the
    speed.

    Just my 2 1/2 cents.

    Dave

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:50:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >dave wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sprint originally was CDMA in San Diego and GSM in the Washington
    > >> DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland markets. They converted to all CDMA a
    few
    > >> years ago.
    > >
    > >Sprint Spectrum was GSM.
    > >
    > >I forgot why they dumped GSM, but that's when they launched Sprint PCS as
    > >CDMA-only network. Brochures and other literature still show Sprint
    Spectrum
    > >L.P. as the copryight owner, though.
    >
    > I'm still surprised to this day why Sprint dumped GSM. I guess they
    > thought it wouldn't take off in the US. Then companies like
    > Voicestream (now T-Mobile), AT&T Wireless and SBC/BellSouth (aka
    > Cingular) and others went on the GSM bandwagon and now GSM will
    > probably overtake CDMA over time.
    >
    > Right now, CDMA is king in this country (with SPCS and VZW being the
    > leaders), but give it 5 years and GSM may be the technology of choice.
    > With the merger of AWS and Cingular, this may actually increase the
    > speed.
    >
    > Just my 2 1/2 cents.
    >
    > Dave

    Just to add fuel to the fire... verizon still operates a small (and getting
    smaller) GSM system ONLY for the embassies in DC on embassy row, and from
    what I hear, another in NY but ONLY for the ambassadors at UN, wonder why it
    is only in those tiny areas?

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:45:57 -0400, Evan Platt wrote
    (in article <ncj2k0hm1isodth79vb0hietmbs5omgtem@4ax.com>):

    > Subject: Re: Technology of Sprint PCS
    > From: Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com>
    > Date: Today 2:45 AM
    > Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
    >
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:58:10 -0400, singha_lvr
    > <singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Is Sprint CDMA or GSM or (other) ????
    >
    > CDMA. But why not use alt.cellular.sprintpcs ?

    Mostly because I'm a verizon customer and someone asked me and I didn't think
    that far ahead to subscribe to a different newsgroup. <GRIN>

    Thanks everyone for the replies.

    hihihi They dumped 2g gsm and went with the higher technology 3g cdma,
    and you are surprised? Five years from now, gsm will likely be gone and
    WCDMA, or just CDMA will be in it's place.

    Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > hihihi They dumped 2g gsm and went with the higher technology 3g
    > cdma,
    > and you are surprised? Five years from now, gsm will likely be gone
    > and WCDMA, or just CDMA will be in it's place.

    If the customers are very, very lucky, the FCC will be deciding what system
    we will be using, once-and-for-all, and shoving it up their competitive
    asses, soon. Then, your toyphone will work on ANY carrier's system, not
    just one or two or three.

    Imagine how many TVs you'd have to have if the FCC let them go-their-own-
    way on what TV system to use! Your NBC TV wouldn't play CBS or FOX. The
    broadcasters tried to play the cellphone game with digital TV but the FCC
    put a quick stop to it, adopting a STANDARD everyone WILL conform to, which
    is their job to protect the consumers.

    The sooner, the better for all of us.....

    GSM sure works good across Europe. Oh, wait, that's because they put up
    REPEATERS in the DEAD ZONES to fill in the holes, mindful of simple RF
    physics.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:50:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    >> wrote:

    > few
    >> >
    >> >Sprint Spectrum was GSM.
    >> >
    >> >I forgot why they dumped GSM, but that's when they launched Sprint
    >> >PCS as
    >> >CDMA-only network. Brochures and other literature still show Sprint
    > Spectrum
    >> >L.P. as the copryight owner, though.
    >>

    > Just to add fuel to the fire... verizon still operates a small (and
    > getting smaller) GSM system ONLY for the embassies in DC on embassy
    > row, and from what I hear, another in NY but ONLY for the ambassadors
    > at UN, wonder why it is only in those tiny areas?

    Just to pour a little more gas on the grill, the Prez's big limo is on
    AMPS! Wonder if he has Onstar, too?? I'll have to ask....(c;

    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

    > I've considered going Libertarian quite often recently. :)

    And, we would welcome you to our party!.....(c;

    I don't attack corporate America, per se. After all, I own several of
    them! I'd say I was a Libertarian profiteer, of sorts. I do miss it when
    EMC used to run up over $100/share and split 2:1 every couple of months,
    one of my greatest decisions....(sigh).

    Maybe I should buy some Alltel....hmm....must look at P/E and charts....

    Hmm....up $10/share to $55 in last 12 months! Kinda bottomed out in '03
    around $45. Not bad for such a terrible market.

    EPS (ttm):
    3.046

    Wow...someone's making a profit!

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:23:45 GMT, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

    >> I've considered going Libertarian quite often recently. :)
    >>

    >And, we would welcome you to our party!.....(c;

    Damn, Larry. We have more in common than just our Governor.:-)

    The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote in

    > Damn, Larry. We have more in common than just our Governor.:-)

    hee hee...(c;

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:31:30 GMT, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> chose to add
    this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >Those limoliberals all want to control who you screw and when you screw
    >them....

    On the contrary, it's the right wingnuts who are so hell-bent on preventing
    10% of the population screwing who they want (Mr. Dick C. being a
    conspicuous exception).

    >Now you sound more like a (GASP!) LIBERTARIAN!!

    Libertarians are not who I would expect to tell companies who they must do
    business with.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Elly's wearing makeup." - Abbey Bartlet
    "Wellll, I don't approve of that." - Jed Bartlet
    "You do know she's 27 years old."
    "I don't approve of that, either."

Verizon Sprint PCS GSM Internet Service Providers