Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ScanJet 'cannot access your scanner' on XP

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 19, 2005 1:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Just upgraded to Win XP Pro SP2. ScanJet 5300C works fine from Admin
account but whenever it's run from a "Limited" account I get "Sorry
cannot access your scanner" ... "Your scanner is currently being used by
another application". I then get an application error when I close the
Precision Scan message dialog.

This seems to be some kind of permissions / login problem? I contacted
HP email support who went through all the usual "uninstall, d/l latest
driver / reinstall" stuff before finally admitting that they don't have
any solution. That is, apart from giving all user accounts
Administrator priveleges.

They tried to sell me some story about the scanner being an input device
and so therefore it was necessary for users to be Administrators before
they could use the scanner.

Anybody got any ideas on what to try? I've searched web / ngs for
ideas, and so far have tried:

- Export HKCU/Software/HP keys from Admin account and then log in as
"limited" user and re-import into user HKCU.

- Halt the Windows Image Acquisition Service.

Neither of these seemed to do the trick. Any other suggestions
gratefully received.

TIA,

- Pete, Abingdon, UK.

More about : scanjet access scanner

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 19, 2005 3:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

From time to time, software developers stumble over admin permissions with
NT/2000/XP, either because they are pretty dim-witted or because the whole NT
scheme is just too damned complicated for developers to figure out.

Ahead had the same problem with its Nero software and finally issued a patch to
fix it. I'm sure that there is something in the registry to change, but finding
it is a needle in a haystack.

I'd say to send Carly an email, but she's gone... Ben Myers

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:50:17 GMT, peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net (Peter
Narramore) wrote:

>Just upgraded to Win XP Pro SP2. ScanJet 5300C works fine from Admin
>account but whenever it's run from a "Limited" account I get "Sorry
>cannot access your scanner" ... "Your scanner is currently being used by
>another application". I then get an application error when I close the
>Precision Scan message dialog.
>
>This seems to be some kind of permissions / login problem? I contacted
>HP email support who went through all the usual "uninstall, d/l latest
>driver / reinstall" stuff before finally admitting that they don't have
>any solution. That is, apart from giving all user accounts
>Administrator priveleges.
>
>They tried to sell me some story about the scanner being an input device
>and so therefore it was necessary for users to be Administrators before
>they could use the scanner.
>
>Anybody got any ideas on what to try? I've searched web / ngs for
>ideas, and so far have tried:
>
>- Export HKCU/Software/HP keys from Admin account and then log in as
>"limited" user and re-import into user HKCU.
>
>- Halt the Windows Image Acquisition Service.
>
>Neither of these seemed to do the trick. Any other suggestions
>gratefully received.
>
>TIA,
>
>- Pete, Abingdon, UK.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 19, 2005 11:47:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <42168b56.41715763@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
@ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> From time to time, software developers stumble over admin permissions
> with NT/2000/XP, either because they are pretty dim-witted

Nah - I'm sure it can't be that.


- Pete
(Software developer :-)

--
- Pete, Abingdon
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 20, 2005 7:35:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Well, software engineering is rarely practiced as a profession any more. And
software specs seem to be written by marketeers on toilet paper, making the
lives of the engineers difficult. Still, I was casting aspersions on HP's
software engineers, not software engineers in general. HP's software to support
printers and scanners is often not born right... Ben Myers

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:47:50 GMT, peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net (Peter
Narramore) wrote:

>In article <42168b56.41715763@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
>@ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>> From time to time, software developers stumble over admin permissions
>> with NT/2000/XP, either because they are pretty dim-witted
>
>Nah - I'm sure it can't be that.
>
>
>- Pete
>(Software developer :-)
>
>--
> - Pete, Abingdon
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 22, 2005 10:43:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <421812e6.1214465@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> HP's software to support
> printers and scanners is often not born right

You can say that again. I have every respect for their hardware and I
really can't understand why the same effort can't be put into providing
decent software too.

Oh well - unless someone comes up with a workaround I gess I'll just
have to wait until HP cave in and produce a fix.


- Pete

--
- Pete, Abingdon
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 8, 2005 3:01:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <00050120200908.OUI95.peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net>,
peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net (Peter Narramore) wrote:

> I really
> can't understand why the same effort can't be put into providing
> decent software too.

Or, indeed, training their tech support people properly.

It turned out to be really basic in the end. The default destination
directory for image files generated by the scanner was in a "shared"
folder for which the default permissions did not include modify/write
for non-Admin users.

Juast click on the 'modify' tickbox in the 'security' properties page
and everything started working!

Now why couldn't the HP Tech Supp people (and I dealt with about 6 of
them altogether) have suggested that?

- Pete

--
- Pete, Abingdon
!