ScanJet 'cannot access your scanner' on XP

Just upgraded to Win XP Pro SP2. ScanJet 5300C works fine from Admin
account but whenever it's run from a "Limited" account I get "Sorry
cannot access your scanner" ... "Your scanner is currently being used by
another application". I then get an application error when I close the
Precision Scan message dialog.

This seems to be some kind of permissions / login problem? I contacted
HP email support who went through all the usual "uninstall, d/l latest
driver / reinstall" stuff before finally admitting that they don't have
any solution. That is, apart from giving all user accounts
Administrator priveleges.

They tried to sell me some story about the scanner being an input device
and so therefore it was necessary for users to be Administrators before
they could use the scanner.

Anybody got any ideas on what to try? I've searched web / ngs for
ideas, and so far have tried:

- Export HKCU/Software/HP keys from Admin account and then log in as
"limited" user and re-import into user HKCU.

- Halt the Windows Image Acquisition Service.

Neither of these seemed to do the trick. Any other suggestions
gratefully received.

TIA,

- Pete, Abingdon, UK.
5 answers Last reply
More about scanjet cannot access scanner

    From time to time, software developers stumble over admin permissions with
    NT/2000/XP, either because they are pretty dim-witted or because the whole NT
    scheme is just too damned complicated for developers to figure out.

    Ahead had the same problem with its Nero software and finally issued a patch to
    fix it. I'm sure that there is something in the registry to change, but finding
    it is a needle in a haystack.

    I'd say to send Carly an email, but she's gone... Ben Myers

    In article <42168b56.41715763@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not
    @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

    > From time to time, software developers stumble over admin permissions
    > with NT/2000/XP, either because they are pretty dim-witted

    Nah - I'm sure it can't be that.

    - Pete
    (Software developer :-)

    --
    - Pete, Abingdon

    Well, software engineering is rarely practiced as a profession any more. And
    software specs seem to be written by marketeers on toilet paper, making the
    lives of the engineers difficult. Still, I was casting aspersions on HP's
    software engineers, not software engineers in general. HP's software to support
    printers and scanners is often not born right... Ben Myers

    In article <421812e6.1214465@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

    > HP's software to support
    > printers and scanners is often not born right

    You can say that again. I have every respect for their hardware and I
    really can't understand why the same effort can't be put into providing
    decent software too.

    Oh well - unless someone comes up with a workaround I gess I'll just
    have to wait until HP cave in and produce a fix.

    - Pete

    --
    - Pete, Abingdon

    In article <00050120200908.OUI95.peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net>,
    peter.narramore@spamnot.virgin.net (Peter Narramore) wrote:

    > I really
    > can't understand why the same effort can't be put into providing
    > decent software too.

    Or, indeed, training their tech support people properly.

    It turned out to be really basic in the end. The default destination
    directory for image files generated by the scanner was in a "shared"
    folder for which the default permissions did not include modify/write
    for non-Admin users.

    Juast click on the 'modify' tickbox in the 'security' properties page
    and everything started working!

    Now why couldn't the HP Tech Supp people (and I dealt with about 6 of
    them altogether) have suggested that?

    - Pete

    --
    - Pete, Abingdon

Hewlett Packard Scanners Windows XP Computers